Chapter Twenty-One ~ A Formal Apology

When James, Sirius, and Peter all marched into the corridor Remus and I were haunting, wearing their most formal dress robes and stepping in sync, I instantly knew something incredibly ridiculous was bound to occur.

It had been four days since the Slug Club, and I had not seen the three of them since that fateful day. I had only allowed Remus into my company since then, taking all my meals and spending all of my waking hours with him. Only half-jokingly, I had instructed Remus to inform the three that until I received a formal apology for their betrayal, along with fine gifts, I would not refrain from murdering them on sight.

It appeared they had taken the message to heart.

On the windowsill beside me, Remus released a drawn-out sigh.

"CALICO FINLEY!" shouted James, a lock of hair falling from hair he had fancily swept back. Mischief glittered in his hazel eyes. "We wish to formally apologize for our terrible actions that have besmirched your name and brought shame to your family!"

I roll my eyes and glance at Remus, who was eyeing the display suspiciously. Any surrounding students were quickly fleeing, prepared to laugh - or quickly duck an onslaught of spells.

I had a reputation.

"We did not know at the time how horrendously awful we were, and we now wish to seek your forgiveness," Peter proclaimed, attempting a deep bow that was stifled by his stiff dress robes. The soft boy looked odd in the attire, but his eyes gleamed just as brightly as James's.

"We come bearing our humility, and gifts that will be envied by all of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!" Sirius added, his hair a magnificent sweep of raven black. A wicked grin had crawled across his features, and suddenly he was prowling towards me. With a swift motion, he took my hand in his, and before I could even scowl and slap his hand away, he had kissed it. Without any hesitation, I kick out at him, but he quickly dodged the attack, always light on his feet.

Remus chuckles, while I only let out a grumbled, "What gifts?"

As if they had been waiting for a cue, the trio was lined up in front of me; Peter, James, and then Sirius.

"I offer you a trip to Honeydukes, all on me," Pete declared, flouncing his wrists about as he spoke, as if he were performing on a stage. "No sum is too high for our Calico-Cat!"

"HEAR HEAR!" The other two belted, erupting in applause for Pete. Even Remus joined in after a few painful seconds, and I playfully slug him in the arm. He protests, but I ignore him, allowing a small smirk to cross my lips.

Peter circled around to the back, and James was before me. "For my gift to the Oh-So-Great-and-Powerful Calico Finley, I present the use of both of our most sacred artifacts whenever she so chooses," he stated, and when I looked down at him in bewilderment as to what those artifacts were, James just shook his head and whispered, "You shall know when you request their use. But be careful - this is not an opportunity to waste."

"Seriously, you four? More secrets?" I question, glaring at each of them in turn, Remus last. He just shrugged and donned a sheepish grin. Frustration gripped my nerves, but I could not think on it before Sirius had fallen to his knees before me, a reverent expression on his face.

"To Calico Finley, the most beautiful and scary girl in Hogwarts - nay, all of the Northern Hemisphere - I give a gift that every witch in the United Kingdom prays for, each and every night, before she lays her tender cheek to the pillow. I present her with the most desperate dreams spoken only to Diana, Goddess of the Moon," Sirius paused to crawl forward, on his hands and knees, putting on quite the theatrical performance. "I bestow her with the apex goal of female existence, something that only a select few - err, scratch that - a few can experience in their lifetimes."