Chapter Five ~ Calico-Cat

The warm water ran across my skin, bringing me to a comfortable temperature. The distraction of the shower from previous events contributed to calming my nerves, which were practically on fire. My burnt hand was almost healed, thanks to a potion Madam Pomfrey had made me down earlier in the day. It was possibly the worst thing I had ever tasted.

After I finish, I towel off my body and slip into a gray sweater and jeans. Before I put my head though the head-opening in the top, I buried my face in it, inhaling the scent of the detergent my mother uses to wash our family's clothes. The fresh smell of it reminded me of home, not quite making my mood improve or drop, but just making my chest ache.

My hands work through my hair with ease, braiding it down my back while it was still damp. Afterwards, I make my way down the stairs to the Common Room.

The fire still roared in the hearth, and the room was still emptier than usual. Four figures had been added to the armchairs by the flame, and my heart leaped at seeing the Marauders again. All four turned as I entered the room, genuine smiles lighting up their faces.

The issue with Sirius seemed to have been resolved, but his grey eyes were still distant. The troubled boy looked extremely tired, and remorseful for how he had acted.

I take a seat to the left of James, in the last chair, and turn to face the rest of the group. "So," I begin awkwardly. "Is everything..."

Is everything okay? I think, wanting to say those words. But I know that everything is not okay. It would be stupid of me to even utter those words.

"Okay with me and Jamsie?" Sirius interrupts. "Why, yes, it was just a minor misunderstanding; our relationship is steadier than James' obsession with Lily Evans-"

"Hey!" James exclaims, heat rising to his cheeks as Remus, Peter, Sirius, and I burst out laughing.

As long as Sirius is cracking jokes, he is as fine as he can be. I think to myself.

"I do not have an obsession with Lily Evans!" James shouts indignantly, just as Lily, Alice, and Marlene stumble into the Common Room. Lily's face turns as red as her hair, her green eyes burning as she glares at James. As we continue to roar with laughter, James takes notice of Lily and swears under his breath, before standing and reaching out a hand, struggling for words to explain.

"Uh, Evans, you see, these blokes were lying, saying that I was obsessed with you, but I really, truly, am not-"

"Oh, please, Potter." Lily snaps, the blush leaving her cheeks. "The 'blokes' are not lying.  It is very obvious, for your information."

And then she walked speedily up to our dormitory, Alice and Marlene following. Alice gave me a minuscule grin, but Marlene continued on, her jaw set and her expression cold.

I stopped my chortling instantly.

James throws himself back into the chair, letting out a groan as he did so. Pete was wiping at his eyes, chuckling a small amount. Remus had already regained his composure, and Sirius was calming himself down, slowly but surely.

After a moment, James said, "I have a plan."

All of our heads turned to face him. I shot Remus a nervous glance, which he returned, his green eyes full of concern. He mouthed the words "Uh oh" at me. A small chuckle escaped my lips.