Chapter Twenty ~ Slughorn and Hexes

"Remus," I groan, doubled-over from the pain in my stomach. "I think my body has decided to self-destruct."

From the overstuffed arm chair beside me, a small groan. "Same here."

Several days has passed since the Quidditch victory, and although James had returned to perfect health with the help of Madame Pomfrey's magic, Remus's and my health had taking a sharp plunge directly following lunch. At first, we joked that it was our bodies's allergic reaction to the Slug Club meeting tonight, but it had become infinitely less amusing when our stomachs began to feel as if worms were writhing within them.

I would've preferred to be at the social torture at this particular moment.

I manage to lift my gaze to Remus, who managed to curl his long limbs into a tight ball, only occupying half of the gigantic chair. His usually brilliant emerald eyes were clouded with sickness, but he managed a minuscule grin that disappeared almost as soon as it had formed.

"How much longer until we should head to the Infirmary?" Remus muttered, rubbing his forehead with a trembling hand.

"Soon," I grumble in response. "Maybe we should let the others know. Where do you reckon Pete ran off to?"

Peter hadn't gone to Quidditch practice this evening, which only happened once in a blue moon.

"I'm not sure, Cal," Remus replied, lifting his head and slowly becoming more alert. "Speaking of, shouldn't James and Sirius be back by now?"

"You know they're definitely in the Great Hall, stuffing themselves. Just the thought of food -" I shudder as I cut myself off. "I may vomit."

"Please avoid my general direction when you do, dear Calico-Cat," Remus laughs, although it comes out more like a sad cough. "You know I adore you, but not that much."

"Why thank you, Oh-Brave-and-Courageous Prefect of Gryffindor!" I shoot back sourly, still unable to hide my smile.

Across the room, the portrait door slammed with a soft force closed, and I almost knew that it was Josephine Matthews entering before I could even see her.

The Fourth-Year strode in as if carried on a gale-force wind, chin held high with self-satisfaction and a confidence that toed the line of outright vanity. In the midst of her sashay about Gryffindor Tower, Josephine came to an abrupt halt, her gaze falling on Remus and I with a bewilderment that I would never expect to see drawn across her proud features.

"What - ? How are you two here?"

I turn to stare Remus, and then I turn back to stare at the incredulous girl.

"What do you mean?" Remus responds, one eyebrow raised.

"So you just sprinted here? Secret corridor, maybe?" Josephine continued, as if she hadn't heard a word the golden-haired boy had said. Crossing the room to approach us, the spirited girl restarted her tsunami of words. "No offense, but you two don't seem like the most athletic pair, so I really don't think that's plausible -"

"Josie," I begin, straightening my back while my stomach ached in protest. "We've been here for hours, commiserating and holding in our lunches."

"Oooo, never-mind, I get it." Josie's voice suddenly dropped after continuing to ignore the two of us. The girl waggled her eyebrows. "A certain top-student and Prefect, having a little romantic rendezvous? Don't worry, I won't tell. Even if I did, everyone would expect it, and it wouldn't be new gossip anyways -"

"Josie." Remus interrupted, finally catching her attention. With a sideways glance, I notice that he was blushing as well, which almost made the situation more humiliating. "What are you even talking about?"