Chapter Twenty-Four ~ Secrets Revealed

The dim shine of candlelight tried to break through the ebbing waves of darkness, faint but persistent.

"Did she break any bones, Poppy?"

"No, thank Merlin. Just bruised. Her ankle was the worst of it, but I took care of it. She'll be right as rain by morning, Minerva."

"Well, I doubt she'll be right as rain, but at least she won't be injured. Do you think -"

"Dumbledore is certain that she is the only one that saw them. He told me so after he brought her up here -"

"And I'm certain she won't say a thing - Miss Finley wouldn't betray those boys like that. But still, I worry for her. For something of this magnitude to be revealed... I do not envy the girl. Or the boy."

The blackness enveloped everything once again, making it all seem like a dream.

~~~

I woke with a start, my heartbeat racing in my chest.

Panicked, I glanced around - but I was safe in the Infirmary, tucked neatly into one of the beds. I wasn't back in the tunnel, being chased by a werewolf. I wasn't beneath the Whomping Willow's branches, broken and bleeding.

It was night - the dark depths of night. Through the windows, I could see that dawn was still a far way off, and the full moon still hung in the sky, though low.

The full moon. Oh, Merlin.

Madame Pomfrey was moving quickly towards my bed, still dressed in her daily uniform, not nightclothes.

"Miss Finley," came her voice, the most soothing I had ever heard it. "How are you feeling?"

Tears brimmed in my eyes, but I covered them with a quick cough and raising my elbow to my mouth.

"I'm alright." It was the truth - I knew I had sprained my ankle, and been thrown about by the Whomping Willow, but nothing hurt.

At least not physically.

"You had quite the eventful night," she murmured, sitting in the chair beside me. "If you'd like to speak to me about it - to anyone about it -"

"I'd just like to go to my dormitory," I whisper, pleading. I couldn't be in here anymore, knowing that in a matter of hours the Marauders would stumble in, carrying an injured Remus. They would see me, and I couldn't face them until I was ready.

Couldn't face him until I was ready.

Madame Pomfrey tilted her head. "Are you certain?"

Imagining the pain on a certain boy's face, I nodded vigorously. "Yes. I'd rather be in my own bed. Do you think it's alright if I skip classes tomorrow -"

"Of course, dear. Professor McGonagall already excused you from classes for Friday, and if you still need time after the weekend -"

"I'll be fine," I breathe, in a daze. "I just want to go hold my cat."

"I'll call for Professor McGonagall to escort you back in to Gryffindor Tower -"

"I can make it on my own, but thank you, Madame Pomfrey." I pull the covers away, standing shakily. But I felt okay.

The woman eyed me warily, clearly unconvinced, but allowed me to leave.