Chapter Seven ~ A Change of Plans

Straightening my robes, I begin to descend the stairs, holding in a groan.

It was Friday evening, just before the Slug Club meeting was to be held. During the rest of the week, James and Sirius, devoted to making their Quidditch team unbeatable, had spent all of their spare time arranging practices around homework. They had practices three times a week, on Monday and Thursday after school as well as on Saturdays from nine in the morning to noon. Peter had been helping the two, actually reading Quidditch books to provide any assistance he could to his black-haired best friends. I had also been reading some books on Quidditch, trying to learn more about the game.

Remus, however, had been very hectic and busy in previous days. Each day his face was more gaunt, as if he was dreading something. I had thought that perhaps it was the stress of his Prefect duties as well as completing his work and working with James, Sirius, and Peter that was making him so tired.

The rest of the week had gone by very slow for me, as if the world as trying to make me want to go to the meeting less and less. But it was the first one, and I reasoned that I might as well go, and if I disliked it, I didn't have to go again, if I didn't want to. Besides, Remus was going to the meeting, and we were friends. How bad could it be?

I finally reach the bottom of the steps, touching the braid that Lily did for me nervously. The scene before me instantly calmed me down.

James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus sat in their usual armchairs in front of the hearth. My mouth curls into a smile at seeing them all gathered together.

"Hey guys." I greet the four, straightening my Gryffindor tie. Four beaming faces turned to face me.

"Hello, dear Calico-Cat." Sirius says, smirking lopsidedly. A mischievous glint was in his grey eyes. "You look ready for your little date with Remus."

"It's not a date!" I sputter, my face growing warmer. "We're just going to a meeting-"

"Well, you didn't exactly agree to take any of us as your plus one." James adds, shrugging carelessly. His glasses were pushed up on the top of his head, like a headband.

"You wouldn't want to go anyway." Remus finally speaks, not seeming affected by the awkward words at all. Despite the apparent stress on his face, he was trying to appear lighthearted, smiling lightly.

"But Remmy, I really think one of us should go." Peter speaks up, giving Remus an odd stare. Either Remus didn't see it, or he ignored it, because he stood up and walked to meet me, gold-brown hair and green eyes illuminated by the firelight.

"We should go." Remus tells me, a small grin on his lips. "We might miss all of the food."

I nod, letting out a small chuckle. "Also known as the best part of being in the Slug Club."

James gives us an eyebrow wiggle, and Sirius chortles.

"Well, have fun, and be back by curfew!" James laughs, sending us off.

As soon as the two of us are outside of the Common Room, I roll my eyes at Remus, who shrugs, his smile looking forced. I frown at him as we continue walking, but he doesn't notice.

Once we reach the Potions classroom in the Dungeon, Remus stops and looks at me, with his exhausted eyes. My stomach almost flips over at the sight of him; he looked even worse than he had just a few moments ago. His face was growing pale, and he seemed as if he could barely stand by himself.

"Remus, don't take this the wrong way, but you look a bit awful." I tel him, my voice gentle. He rolls his eyes, but his shoulders sag a bit, as if he was relieved.

"If you're too sick, I don't want you to go. You need rest." I explain to him. Remus nods pitifully, then let's out a sigh.

"You're like my bloody mum." He groans, and then turns to start heading back up the stairs. His tall figure made it a few steps before he stumbled a bit and fell to the ground.

Fear struck my senses, taking ahold of me for a moment. What is happening to him?

Holding in a gasp, I ran to his side and hoisted his right arm around my shoulders, my right hand coming up to meet it. I grabbed his right hand in mine and wrapped my left arm around his torso. Pulling the weak boy to his feet, I half-dragged him up the many stairs and back to the Common Room, where I barked the password and heaved our two bodies into the room.

As soon as the rest of the boys saw us, they rushed forward. Panic was present in each of their eyes, but they kept calm.

"What happened?" Peter asks, his blue eyes concerned.

I explain how he began looking way worse down by the dungeons and how he had fallen. James nods at this, and without another word, Sirius and him lifted Remus, who now had regained some strength, and helped him upstairs to the dormitory.

"What are you doing?" My voice asks sharply. "Shouldn't he go to Madame Pomfrey?"

Peter turns to face me, shaking his head. "This has... Happened before. We got it." He gave me a quick wave before following the others up to their dormitory.

Nervous energy and confusion ran through me, but I stayed composed. I had no inkling of what had just occurred, or why.

I sigh heavily, before retreating to my own dormitory. Marlene was the only one sitting in there, reading a textbook. Avoiding any awkward encounters, I silently brushed my teeth and headed to my four-poster bed, crawling in and curling up.

As I slowly fell asleep, I felt a strong pang of homesickness.

A/N: Hey everyone! Thanks for reading! I know this chapter is short, but I needed to get a chapter out and it's a bit of a filler...

A full moon is coming... :3