Chapter 26

- Owen's POV -

"Hey, look what I got in the mail today!" Nicole came walking in, a smile across her face. In her hand was a small white envelope.

"What?" I asked, trying to sound excited, when I really wasn't.

"It's Claire and Michael's wedding invitation!" She squealed in delight as she walked over and waved the invitation in front of me.

"Oh wow, they are serious. I thought it was just a joke." I said laughing slightly.

"Owen," Nicole said as she sat down next to me. "You should be happy for them."

"I am happy." I said as she opened the envelope.

"I'm sure you're going to be thrilled when I tell you, your Michael's best man." I sighed and looked over at her.

"Great." I muttered.

"What is with you? You've been so grumpy lately?" She looked at me and I just turned my attention back to what was currently on the television screen.

"Fine. Don't tell me." She said before got up and walked out of the room. What was wrong? I honestly didn't know, I just wanted to be left alone, with only the sound of the television to keep me company. And that's how it stayed for the rest of the evening until we both went to bed.

•••

A few days had passed and I began to wonder where Nicole went to after work. She'd just send me a quick text message saying that she'd be home late and to eat without her.

Part of me wondered if she was having an affair with another. Though, I kept telling myself over and over again that it wasn't true because she loved me. She loved me more than anything. We have a good relationship. At least I think we do. Finally, I asked her about it when she came home.

"Hey honey." I said, as she walked through the door and into the kitchen.

"Hi," was her response.

"How was work?"

"Fine."

"We need to talk." I never imagined myself saying those words. Especially to Nicole.

"Is everything okay Owen?" she asked, placing her bag down on the counter top.

"No. Nicole, where have you been going after work?" she suddenly stood up straighter and she began to play with her wedding ring. A habit she began to do ever since she got it and what she did when she had a secret. One that she would like to keep from me.

"I- it's nothing." she stumbled to get the words out of her mouth.

"Nicole, I know you and I know that you are keeping something from me."

"I'm not!" she yelled in response.

"Nicole! We swore on the day we said our vows that we would never lie or keep secrets from each other! And we never have up until now! Doesn't our marriage mean anything to you?" I spat back. I could feel the blood boiling in my veins.

"Of course it does!"

"Then why are you keeping secrets! It started when you came back from the doctors appointment! Wait, Nicole," I said, my voice lowering so I wasn't yelling at her anymore. "Did something happen to our child?" I feared she was going to say yes.

"No." she said calmly. "Nothing did."

Now she was looking down at her feet. And she was crying.

"Nicole?" I called her name but she didn't answer.

"I want to be alone." She said before she walked back out the door, leaving her purse behind.