Chapter 9: Bazaars

Nandini woke up in her room holding someone's hand tightly. On seeing the Prince, she immediately tried to leave his hand. Why is he here? She thought. She noticed that her lone firefly had found a pair.

Nandini: It's true then, when there is true love fireflies glow! You both are glowing together. But, how did one just enter the jar?

The Prince had fallen asleep sitting beside her in the cramped space. Nandini realized that he  must be uncomfortable in that position. She slowly got up, and tried to free herself from his grip. The more she tried, the harder he held her hand, not wanting to let go. Nevertheless, this movement woke Prince Manik up within a few minutes.

Nandini: What are you doing here. Leave me.
Prince Manik: Never.
Nandini: I said leave me.
Prince Manik: I said never. So get up. We are going to out.
Nandini: Why do you want me to come with you?
Prince Manik places his index finger on her lips
Prince Manik: shhhh! This is my Kingdom. I can take whoever I please. Besides, you are my slave. Who gave you the right to question my decisions?

Nandini: Let me remind you that you are the Crown Prince and not the King and this Kingdom exists because of the people and not you.

Prince Manik: So, if its because of the people that this Kingdom exists, I have to know what they want. So, you ware coming with me for a walk around the Bazaars.

Nandini: Why do you want me to come with you? Don't you have minsters for all this?

Manik: I said shhhh. Just be ready in 1 hour.

Nandini thought that going with him in crowed places is a lot safer than the kind of dream she had last night.
Nandini: Okay.
Prince Manik went back to the palace and Harshvardhan came to meet him.
Harshvardhan: Prince Manik, where did you go without your security. We had no idea about your whereabouts the entire night.
Prince Manik: I can take care of my safety.
Harshvardhan: We just got word from the Westpur palace, that they are ready for the attacks on Nagram City. We have to send 100 elephants and 1500 soldiers to support their army.
Prince Manik: Tell them that we will send 2000 men and 150 elephants. You take control of the Army as you are more experienced than their chief. Leave today with our army.
Harshvardhan: As you wish Your Highness.
Prince Manik: I will be going out today and will not need my security.
Just then Prince Vedant entered the premises.
Prince Vedant: Brother, good morning. Today is our sword fight day? Where are you off to so early in the morning.
Prince Manik: I, that... I have some important work. I have to miss our fight. Sorry.
Prince Manik left the room hastily leaving both Harshvardhan and Prince Vedant baffled.
Prince Vedant: Do you know where he is going?
Harshvardhan: No, Your Highness. He even dismissed his security  today and last night.
Prince Vendant thought, " something is odd. I have to follow him."

Prince Manik reached Nandini's room and he was stunned to see her in a red silk half- sari (lehenga). Like yesterday, he was dressed in disguise to protect his identity. Prince Manik went near her and held her hand.

Nandini: Leave me. Who are you?
Prince Manik: Manik.

Nandini noticed the man standing in front of her more clearly and understood it was the Crown Prince.

Nandini: Your Highness... or is it Majesty?

Prince Manik: Just Manik.

Nandini: Manik? Are you asking me to call you by your name? But why?
Manik: Yes, and how many questions do you ask! I don't have time for all your nonsensical questions. now come lets go.

Nandini thought to herself that until yesterday, he was so particular that he should be addressed properly and today all of a sudden he asks me to call him by his given name. Despite this unexpected change, he still was the same as far as his control over his anger went.

Manik and Nandini reached the food market and noticed many ladies sitting in the blazing hot weather selling fruits and vegetables.

Old Woman: I didn't make enough yesterday to feed my family even one meal.

Young Woman: Neither did I, considering the high taxes we pay. We just survived on water yesterday. I hope the King does something.

Old Woman: The Palace has other things to worry about. Why will they bother about common people like us?

Manik: How much tax do you pay?

Young Woman: Looks like this man is not from here. We pay 3/4th of our earnings as taxes to the Crown.

Nandini: Actually, yes we are just visiting.

Old Woman: Beautiful girl! Come here. You look like you just got married to him.

She got up and blessed them both.

Old Woman: You both look like you are made for each other. May God bless you with love, happiness and many children.

Manik and Nandini looked at each other not knowing what to say or do.

Nandini: Actually... we...

Manik cut her off before she confessed the truth about their relationship.

Manik: Thank you. Here take this. (giving both the women 100 gold coins each). We will buy all your fruits, feed your families.

Young woman: How will you carry all this?

Manik: Someone will come and collect it from you.

Manik and Nandini walk out of the fruit and vegetable bazaar.

Nandini: Now they think I am married to you. This is what you wanted right, to torture me mentally and physically. It doesn't matter for you, but marriage is a big deal for me. 

Manik: Why is it a big deal for you? Its not like we are really married!

Nandini: You don't understand. What if someone comes to know.

Manik: Then I will send my men and kill them. Simple.

Nandini: War, and killing is not the solution to all problems.

Manik: Then what is?

Nandini: Love and understanding. 

Manik:  So you mean, we can just rule without waging wars if we 'love' and 'understand'? (he asked mockingly)

Nandini: Yes, but you will never know. You only know how to enslave people and torture them.

Manik: I never hurt you. You yourself suggested this 'slave' thing. Then why do you hold me responsible?

Nandini: You will never get it will you? People are the masters of their own selves. I have my own will, and you can not control that even if you are the Crown Prince. I am doing this only for my family because you said you will kill them.

Manik: You are free.

Nandini's face beamed with happiness, but she was sceptical as she thought Manik would have a catch.

Nandini: What? you are letting me go?

Manik: Yes. You are no longer my slave.

In just a few days Prince Manik had learnt so much from this warrior, dancing girl. He leant that love and  humanity exist in this world. Although he let her go, he knew he couldn't truly let go as he had become a slave to her courage, beauty and wisdom. First, her courage attracted him, then that same courage angered him. He was mesmerized by her beauty and dance in the court, and the truth in her words pierced through him today. He let her go, but he couldn't stop himself from following her as she walked away into the busy streets of Azianagar.