Chapter 11: Realization

Prince Manik for the first time narrated his feelings about the day he almost died. He was grateful that the girl saved him and called her his guardian angel. Unknown to him, Nandini also remembered that day that she saved that boy. She could still remember the purity in his eyes, and the first time she saw fireflies glow. In her mind, glowing fireflies symbolized pure and true love. That sanctity in his eyes and nature's sign made this boy a figment of her love for these ten years. Was it the love for Manik that she fostered in her heart through these years?

How could it be him? Could this monster who tortured me be the same pure soul I endeared? He does remember the day, and he seemed sincere when he narrated the story. All of a sudden he seems different from the Prince I knew for these few days. I can see that he cares, she thought. With tears of realization in her eyes, Nandini spoke.

Nandini: It was... It was you?

Manik: I said it was him. He brought you here. Don't you get that? (pointing to the man still lying on the floor)

Manik removed his hands from Nandini's shoulders with a jerk and moved towards the man.

Prince Manik: Do you know who I am? I am the son of King Dhanpal, I am the Crown Prince of Azianagar. I will have you beheaded for touching her. She is mine, only mine.

Man: Sorry, Your Highness...I didn't know... she...

Prince Manik: I know you were sent here by somebody. So, reveal the identity of the person who sent you here and you are free to go.

The man without Prince Manik's knowledge, looked to his right and saw his master, Prince Vedant standing a safe distance away. The man realized he was trapped. Not telling Prince Manik the truth would mean certain death and informing Prince Manik would also result in the same end for him.

Man: I just saw her. She was beautiful, thats all.

Prince Manik took his sword out and slashed his throat in one go without letting the Man speak another word. Nandini closed her eyes and turned her head to the opposite direction in disgust. She was a warrior herself, but didn't murder people ruthlessly. She fought fairly and attacked only when she was provoked or she was in danger.

This gruesome monster, just kills people if they don't speak what he wants to hear. How could I ever think he is the same boy I saw that day? The same boy who I loved as my own for these many years? Nandini questioned herself.

Manik in his blood stained clothes came near Nandini and tried holding her hands. Nandini pushed him away and didn't even want to stand near his shadow. She still had tears in her eyes, shocked to see the man she loved murdering someone in broad daylight.

Manik: He tried to hurt you.

Nandini: So? you just kill him? He might have had children, parents, a family who needed his support. Did you even for once, think about them before you murdered him? That girl who saved you that day, did so because she thought of your family. She was concerned that your parents would loose a son. She saw the purity in your eyes, before she saved you. And now I realized that I loved a monster for ten years.