Chapter 15: I love Manik

Something inside Manik changed seeing Nandini in the moonlight. She looked ethereal, like a divine angel. He knelt down before her after he lost to her again in the sword fight. The wind from the open window brought in illuminated fireflies into the room as soon as Manik's and Nandini's eyes met.

Manik: Fireflies seem to like you. I saw one in your room that day and added one more. Why are you so fascinated by them?

Nandini: They like us and they have since the first time we met.

Manik was confused, the first time he saw Nandini according to him was in the forest when she first beat him at a sword fight.

Manik: First time?

Nandini: I was there, Manik, I was that girl in the jungle ten years ago.

Manik rethought the whole situation, it was Nandini. She is my protector and angel, he thought. As an immediate response Manik went ahead and hugged his life source, Nandini.

Manik: You have always been a part of my life since that day. You have been my happiness in sorrow and my medicine in pain.

Nandini was taken aback by Manik's sudden hug, but she felt loved in his embrace. She could feel the pain and sorrow in his words, and she wanted to wipe it all away. She wanted to bring light into his darkness. But how, how can I? She thought. Slowly she moved her hands onto his back reciprocating his hug. As soon as her delicate fingers touched his back, Manik pulled Nandini closer with a smile. He couldn't recollect a moment in his life when he felt this happy. Something about this girl makes me want to be around her. Maybe because she saved me that day. I do owe her my life. He thought. Nandini felt the same way about Manik but it was not because she saved him. I love Manik, I love him. I have loved him ever since I first saw him, ever since I saw the fireflies glow for the first time. Destiny connected us that day, and it brought us here to this very moment today. I love him and will love him hamesha till the fireflies glow. She thought looking at the glowing fireflies  that filled the room with tears in her eyes. Manik could sense that Nandini was crying, so he lifted her face and looked at her. Even her teardrops looked so beautiful like peals to him even although he was hurt to see her in tears. He slowly removed his right arm from her back and wiped her tears with his index finger.

Manik: Why are you crying. It is me who has to be upset, for treating you the way I did. I am thankful that you told me it was you.

Nandini: I think the word you are looking for is sorry.

Manik: You have defy me every time don't you.

Nandini: I have my free will so I can say what I think is right.

Manik: Not if I say you can't.

Nandini: I thought we were past the 'slave' thing.

Manik: I am still the Crown Prince.

Nandini: So?

Manik: I can do this.

Nandini: What?

Manik pulled Nandini for another hug. I am to be married soon, why do I feel this urge to be so close to Nandini. Should I leave her, but she saved me. So what? You have to let go. She will be someone else's wife, what you are doing is not right. She resisted before when I tried getting close to her why is she not resisting now, Manik thought.

Nandini wholeheartedly gave herself up to Manik, she had always. Now, her feelings towards him were clearer. She understood him better. He is not a monster. Maybe a little, but it is his uncontrollable anger that drives him to do deeds like what he has done. He let go of his ego when he kneeled down to me, soon he will learn to control his anger too. Nandini thought to herself while hugging Manik.

Their loving embrace was disturbed by someone banging on the room door. They book broke the hug and looked at each other.

Person from outside the door: Your Royal Highness, Prince Manik, the King is dead.