Chapter 51: Aftermath

The news of Manik's acceptance to fight with King Veeran had reached King Vendat though his network of spies and informers. Queen Mother Nyonika was frustrated and angry with her son King Vedant. However, their argument about King Vedant's measures took an ugly turn when he warned her about his status as King versus her's as just the Queen Mother. King Vedant needed an outlet to show his anger and frustration and he used his women slaves as his source. People in Azianagar started to question the King's intentions. The word on the street was that how could he protect our land when he couldn't even keep his fiancé from running away. They questioned his authority as he was not legally married to a Princess, which was an unsaid rule in their land. He needed a Princess to be his Queen if he could even maintain any control over what people had to say about him. He decided to send more men to capture only her and bring her back.

The town of Mangalnagar was destroyed, so people of the town decided to leave their homes and fields to relocate to other towns. The process of moving was emotional as most people were born and had their livelihoods in Mangalnagar. The fact that Rishabh died in that town, made Nandini want to stay to keep his memory alive, but she had to leave as there was nothing left for her or her uncle to do in Mangalnagar anymore. All her students were leaving to neighbouring towns or to take refuge in Nagaram City, and Venkateshwara had lost all his cultivated crop. They too like others decided to move will everything and everyone that had survived. King Veeran of Nagaram insisted that they move to Nagaram city as that would help with the war preparations.

Nandini pulled Manik into a secluded corner to speak with him privately.

Nandini: I was thinking we could stay with my extended family in Vidyanagar. Its not too far from here.

Manik: The change will be good for you Nandini, trust me.

Nandini hugged Manik, and he embraced her.

Nandini: Do you think uncle will agree? He despises royalty.

Manik placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and spoke again.

Manik: Right now, we have no choice. We will try to convince him.

They went to uncle to speak to him about the King's offer.

Nandini: The King has offered that we stay in the Nagaram Palace.

Venkateshwara: Nandini, I am a farmer, the palace is no place for me. You have assumed responsibility for this Kingdom. So, you both go and when the time is right, I will join you.

That seemed like a fair deal even though this would be breaking apart the only family Nandini had. As they were discussing things, they noticed that a few men were harassing Princess Alia who was still with them in Mangalnagar. Both Nandini and Manik immediately went to those men and fought them. Upon being beaten by the warrior duo, the men confessed their orders to bring back Princess Alia. Manik was about to kill those men, when both Princess Alia and Nandini stopped him.

Princess Alia: Please hold these guys until we are done taking.

She said to some village men bystanders. She then asked Nandini and Manik to follow her to a place away from the spies.

Princess Alia: I have seen what this town who have done nothing but offer me refuge from that evil man, have been through and I know that King Vedant will not stop until he is beaten. I want to join the fight, and he wants me. I will go there and be his wife and stop him wherever I can and I will provide you with any relevant information.

Manik: I cannot let you suffer like that. If I didn't walk out that day from our engagement, you will not be in this situation.

Princess Alia: I am not doing this for you or me. I am doing this for the good of our lands. I am acting in the capacity as the Princess of Westpur and you should do the same as the rightful heir to the throne in Azianagar.

Manik and Nandini listened to her speak and realized that they had no chance of changing her decision.

Princess Alia: Now we have to release those men in a manner that they don't suspect anything and they can take me back to King Vedant.

They did as she wished, and King Vedant's men dragged her to their horses while she 'fought' (acted to) them off.

Soon after, Manik and Nandini bid their farewell to uncle who was going to Vidyanagar and left with the King's troops to Nagaram City.

They arrived in Nagaram City, and this was the first time in the city for both Manik and Nandini.

Everyone in the King's entourage addressed her as Princess Heir Nandini, which was weird to her.

Nandini: Manik, how did you deal with everyone calling you Prince Manik? Didn't you find it weird?

Manik: I enjoyed the authority I had with the title... The first time I like to hear my name without the title was when you called me Manik.

They both smiled at each other. They both were housed in the main section of the Nagaram City Palace. They had 10 servants to serve them each, which was not new for Manik, but it was definitely very new for Nandini. She had no privacy, not even to talk to Manik... but Manik found innovative ways to pull Nandini into corners and push her into cupboards to have some 'romantic alone time.'

________

More on their 'romantic alone time' coming up in the next chapter.
Will update again in 2 days- I am halfway done writing the next chapter! ❤️
MaNanonymous