Chapter 18: Preparation

Nandini had reached Mangalnagar and met her family who were surprised to see her back this early. 

Venkateshwara (Uncle): Nandini, why are you back so early? 

Before Nandini could say anything she saw Rishabh lying on the floor. 

Venkateshwara : His condition has worsened.

Nandini felt like she was so selfish with her decision to leave Azianagar.  The money she would have received could have helped ease Rishabh's pain. (1) 

Nandini: They didn't need me anymore. So, I came back. 

She said thinking of Manik not needing her anymore. 

Venkateshwara: Its ok Nandini. We will survive. It will all work out in the end.

At the Dharmveer Palace, Azianagar, the King, Queen and Princess of Westpur had arrived just as Prince Manik was about to leave to meet Nandini. 

Prince Manik: Thank you Raja Bharmal, but... I will have to take your leave at the moment. 

Manik left the Palace and reached the dancer's quarters and was surprised not to find Nandini.

Deepti: She is not here. She went back to Mangalnagar. 

Why did she go without letting me know. How can she just leave without informing the Prince. If the engagement and coronation was not today, I would have gone to get her back, Manik thought. 

Prince Manik: Thank you. You can go back to Mangalnagar. Let her know that I will meet her soon.
Manik left Deepti wondering why Manik wanted to meet Nandini even after his engagement. 

The announcement of the King's death, Prince Manik and Princess Alia's engagement, and Prince Manik's coronation as King was made to the general public. The people of Azianagar had mixed reactions. They were shocked to learn of the Kings death. They younger generation was excited to know that there was going to be Royal engagement today and that they would get to see the couple when they make their first public appearance. Some people also felt that this change in leadership would bring better economic policies. Overall, the people on the streets of Azianagar were already talking about the change that was to occur. Merchants and traders competed with each other to be selected to provide the decorations such as flowers, silks etc. for the Palace. 

Prince Manik went back to the Palace and saw that the main hall that held his father's body just some time back was decorated with flowers of all varieties. There were red silk curtains hanging from pillars which reminded Manik of Nandini in her red half sari. The Palace looked even more magnificent than it ever did. Even though it was morning, all the chandeliers were lit with candles and the scent of the flowers invaded Manik's senses. Although one part of Prince Manik was still lamenting his father's death and the sudden disappearance of the girl who inspired him, the other side of him loved the attention he was getting and will be getting as the future King of the Indian Empire. When Prince Manik was young, his father, King Dhanpal used to tell him that he would be the next King. As a child Prince Manik used to sneak into the main hall and sit on the King's throne when no one was looking. Being King, was the only goal Manik had, the only future Manik could envision for himself growing up. Becoming King was his destiny, which was confirmed by the royal astrologers when Prince Manik was born to King Dhanpal and Queen Uttara twenty two years ago. Prince Manik never knew his birth mother, but people said  that he had taken her strikingly beautiful eyes. Today, on the day he was to become King, Prince Manik wished his mother was with him. She would be proud that I am to fulfil my destiny and my duty though this engagement to Princess Alia. First thing I should do as King, is to make Nandini my chief advisor, she already does that job very well, Prince Manik thought. 

Servant: Your Royal Highness, I have been asked by Her Majesty the Queen to inform you that the priest suggested that the engagement ceremony should start at 10 and will be followed by the coronation ceremony at 11. 

Prince Manik: Thank you. You may leave now.

Prince Manik went back to his room and started getting ready for both the ceremonies. He wore the exquisite clothing that was designed specifically for this purpose. He also wore his crown and jewellery that was picked out to match his outfit. Prince Manik was disturbed by a sudden sound coming from the entrance of his room. He turned to see who it was, but the person who caused it had disappeared. 

In the Guest's wing of the Dharmveer Palace, Princess Alia was also getting ready for her engagement. She still hadn't identified which of the two Princes were to be her future husband, but she found the taller one more handsome. Her companion, Amba came running to her.

Princess Alia: What happened Amba, why are you panting so much?

Amba: I just saw your groom.

Princess Alia was excited to learn that Amba had seen her groom and it was Prince Manik. She always knew she would be marrying a King, but Prince Manik was different. She had seen him when they were young and he was very sweet to her, unlike Prince Vedant who used to trouble her. Now, he had grown to become an attractive young man. While thinking about Prince Manik, Alia got ready wearing an elegant golden lehenga and a red blouse that was given to her by the Dharmveer Palace's merchant. She also wore her mother's royal kundan necklace. She covered her hair with her net dupatta and walked out with her companions to the main hall where the engagement was to be held. As soon as she entered her eyes roamed across the hall in search of Prince Manik, but he was nowhere to be seen. 

--------------------------------------------

If and when Prince Manik becomes king let me know which style/title you prefer: 

Choice 1- His Majesty, King Manik of the Great Indian Empire
Choice 2- His Majesty, Raja Manik of the Great Indian Empire

Notes:
(1)Rishabh, Nandini's brother was crippled and was suffering from excessive pain on his legs.