Chapter 22: Cave

As Manik stood by the river gazing into the darkness, he saw his light source, Nandini walk towards him. He rubbed his eyes and thinking it was dream. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning blazed through the forest and before he knew it, a tree was about to fall on Nandini. He ran and placed his body as a shield for her against the falling tree. He couldn't judge if his action was voluntary or involuntary, but all he knew was that he couldn't see her in pain. The weight of the tree on his back was painful, but not more than the pain that Nandini caused him when she removed his hands from her waist. Monsoon had its perks and Manik wasn't going to let go of her so easily.

She looked ethereal in the rain. Is there a moment where she doesn't look this stunning, Manik thought as he looked at Nandini as she stood frightened by a lightning. What happened next was unexpected, at least after Nandini made it clear that she didn't want to be physically close to Manik. Here they were hugging each other in the rain in the middle of a jungle.

Manik realized that it was dangerous to stand outside, with the constant blows of light from above. He spotted a cave nearby in the jungle and decided that they could halt there until dawn. As he carried her, Nandini held on tightly to Manik's body, he smiled realizing that she felt protected in his arms.

On reaching the cave, Manik let go of Nandini. She stood up and immediately distanced herself from Manik as flashes from their hug in the rain and her proximity to him when he carried her came to her mind.

Manik: I think we have to spend the night here.

Nandini was shocked that he could even say things like that to her after she made it clear even as his slave that she will not stay with him. Now it mattered more, because she realized she cannot deny giving herself up to him completely if he so wished. However, that according to her, would be unfair to both Princess Alia, Manik's bride-to-be and to herself who would be left in a loveless state.

Nandini: What! No, I cannot spend the night along with a man.

Why is she so adamant? Why does she have to counter everything that I say, Manik thought as he looked at her.

Manik: Look, its raining and we are in the jungle. Where else can we go?

Nandini looked outside standing at the edge of the cave as another lightning stuck the ground. She realized that Manik was right and that they were left with no other option. Manik understood from her expressions that she had accepted her defeat in this argument and smiled inwardly.

Except for a few sudden lighting bolts, the night was dark, cold and wet. Manik noticed Nandini sitting against the wall and doing something with her hands. He stood up and walked towards her. Nandini for the first time was afraid of Manik. She couldn't read his expressions in the darkness as he approached and the lack of knowledge of his intentions frightened her. Within seconds, she felt two warm hands intertwine with hers from above. Their hands fit perfectly together as she continued to rub the two stones together to light a fire. She looked at him in the darkness but couldn't see much, although she could feel his presence around her. Without a warning, a spark of light emitted from the stones and she used it to light a fire on the twigs that she had arranged. Manik let go of her hands and admired her intelligence. Both Manik and Nandini sat opposite each other with the fire in-between them (1). It should have been you that day and not Princess Alia, Manik thought remembering his almost-engagement. The fire brought warmth and light into the cave, and let Manik see Nandini properly in full light for the first time since she left the Palace.

Manik: You look beautiful, Nandini.

Nandini: Why are you speaking such things all of a sudden?

Manik didn't know how to respond to her question but realized that she was hurt and needed time to let him into her life.

Manik: umm... I... Oh, the horse is still standing outside, let me bring him in.

Manik left the cave leaving Nandini puzzled why Manik was avoiding her question. He never shied away from difficult questions before, but his behaviour and attitude towards her was different now and Nandini could sense that. Before, when he touched her in the dance dressing room in the Palace, he was harsh and greedy (2). Now, his touch was filled with warmth and care. Yes, they did share a moment of understanding in her room in Azianagar (3), but that moment was fleeting and an illusion according to Nandini. He should be there with her, why is he here with me? Nandini thought. Although, the notion of him with someone else annoyed her, she was trying very hard to accept it.

Manik walked in holding the reins of the horse with one hand. He looked strikingly attractive with his hair wet as droplets of water tricked down his bare sculpted chest. Nandini couldn't stop herself from admiring the man standing in front of her. Thankfully for her, Manik didn't notice Nandini's gaze. He led the horse inside and then sat next to Nandini.

Nandini: You are supposed to be in Azianagar, not here.

Manik: I am where I am supposed to be, or at least I hope.

Manik hoped that he was still in her heart.

Manik: Why were you traveling alone in the night?

Nandini: I was going to my cousin's house, the cart broke down so I started walking. And thank you for protecting me.

Manik: What I did is not comparable to what you did at such a young age to save me. So, please don't thank me.

Nandini: Why did those people want you dead?

Manik: Its never easy being a Royal. We have rules, and enemies. They were people from King Veeran's Empire and Harshvarshan had just killed King Veeran's son in battle. So, they were avenging his death.

While he sat next to her silence, she noticed a fading bruise on his arm. From its location, she knew it was the cut she gave him when they had their first sword fight. She gently stroked the bruise, knowing that she hurt him.

Nandini: Does it hurt?

Manik: Not anymore.

Notes:
(1) The way they were sitting resembled the way Manik and Princess Alia were sitting during their engagement.

(2) Refer to Chapter 4

(3) Refer to Chapter 15

Picture: Cave ( Picture credit to uploader)

I have an idea on where I want the story and characters to go, but I am open to suggestions

I have an idea on where I want the story and characters to go, but I am open to suggestions. If you wish to see Manik and Nandini ( or any other character) in a particular situation, scene or place, do let me know.
Again, thank you so much for the votes and comments!