Chapter 48: Plans

A day later, King Vedant's spies returned to Azianagar to inform their King that Manik was planning to join their enemy's army.

King Vedant: Set fire to the entire town killing all life forms that exist on land, water and air. I want all of them dead.

Harshvardhan: Are you sure? I think you should consult your mother.

King Vedant: Is she the King or am I the King? I will consult no one. Do as I say, as you work under me and not her.

Harshvardhan: Rajendra, send our troops burn Mangalnagar and to ensure Manik dies.

Rajendra could not believe what was about to happen. A few hours later, he needed Army Chief Harshvardhan's signature to send the troops. So, he went around the Dharmveer Palace looking for him.

Rajendra: Have you seen the Army Chief around?

Royal servant: I saw him going towards Queen Mother's chamber.

Rajendra: Thank you.

Rajendra walked hurriedly towards Queen Mother Nyonika's room in her chamber. The door was slightly open and he could hear the conversation between the Queen Mother and the Army Chief.

Queen Mother Nyonika: Now, I am really happy.

Harshvardhan: I thought you were happy from the day we started this affair... Or should I say night!

Queen Mother Nyonika: Oh Harsh... You always make me happy especially in bed... But this time, my happiness is not related to this.

Harshvardhan: Then what is it?

Queen Mother Nyonika: Remember how we tried to kill Manik when he was young?

Harshvardhan: Oh how could I forget, my only plan that didn't work! I payed some Nagaram Empire men to pretend to capture Manik so that we could finish him. Somehow, miraculously he came back alive and well.

Queen Mother Nyonika: Now my son, the King of the Great Indian Empire will kill him once and for all. We killed my husband, so that I enjoy my time with you in my bed. Vedant and I sent Manik away so that he can rule. Now, with Manik dead, we can control the Empire through my son!

Rajendra was both disgusted and angry about everything he heard. He had to do something fast. He felt like taking his sword and slashing the throats of the Queen Mother and Harshvardhan, but he felt informing his Prince Manik was the most important thing. He left the Queen Mother's chamber and called some of his trust worthy friends and soldiers.

Rajendra: I need your help.... But you will need to promise on our King Dhanpal and Prince Manik that you will keep this away from the current King and his family.

On hearing a satisfactory response, he informed them of who killed King Dhanpal and that Prince Manik's life was in danger.

Rajendra: I am leaving this place for good, and will return to you (his family) only after Prince Manik becomes the rightful King. I have to protect him and inform him about who murdered his father. I know that everyone on the street are troubled by King Vedant's policies and would prefer an honest and considerate King. Prince Manik is our only hope. You all have to ensure that in case of war or riots, the people will be on our side.