Chapter 13: Challenge

King Dhanpal reaches the private meeting hall. His ministers and Harshvardhan (Chief of Army) are already present, to discuss the war against the Nagaram Empire.

Harshvarshan: His Royal Highness Crown Prince Manik, has asked me to increase the number of elephants and soldiers we are providing for the war.

King Dhanpal: Thats good. We have to win over them, and take control of their empire.

Vyan (Minister of finance): But increasing our troops will have a negative affect on our royal treasury.

Harshvarshan: The Indian Empire winning the war will increase the number of people who pay taxes to our King, thereby increasing the treasury's wealth in the future.

King Dhanpal: I agree with Harshvardhan, no more discussions about this. Harshvardhan, have you planned the war strategy yet?

Harshvardhan: Yes Your Majesty. We will attack them in our most successful Vajra Vyuha (a three fold thunderbolt/needle) formation. No one has ever been able to break this formation of ours.

King Dhanpal: When are you leaving?

Harshvardhan: Our troops have already left, I will be leaving whenever you want me to, Your Majesty.

King Dhanpal: Wait for a few more days.

Outside the dancers quarters, Deepti was struggling to escape from her kidnapper. Suddenly, she managed to de-robe the man and saw Prince Manik. Prince Manik left her and Deepti immediately bowed to him in respect.

Deepti: Sorry Your Highness, I didn't know it was you.

Prince Manik: You and your companions except Nandini can stay in quarters no 5. None of you should even come close to this quarters.

Deepti: Okay, Your Highness.

She left towards the other dancers quarters and Prince Manik wore his black robe again and entered Nandini's room. He saw Nandini letting go of 'their' fireflies and went and held her hand to stop her. Nandini immediately  reacted by fighting with this robed man. Manik removed the robe to expose himself to Nandini. Manik could see tears in her eyes.

Nandini: Manik, let me go.

Manik: I tried to let you go, but something about you keeps pulling me towards you. What are you?

Manik tried wiping her tears and Nandini pushed his hands away.

Nandini: What am I? Unlike you, I am a human.

Manik: See, this is why I like you... You speak up to me, fight with me.

Nandini: Thank you, but I don't need your liking. You freed me, so I want to go.

Manik came close to Nandini who was still wearing her red half-sari (lehenga). He held her waist and pulled her closer. He was still trying to understand his feelings towards her. He didn't hate her anymore, but didn't know what he felt for her either. He couldn't stay away, but couldn't command his wishes on her like other people. She is not like any other person I have come across, he thought. Nandini on he other hand, was equally affected by this proximity to the love of her life whom she now despised. She wanted to stay away from him, but didn't want him to let go of her either. Manik bent down to reach her ears and spoke softly.

Manik: Okay I will consider letting you go, if you beat me in another sword fight.

Nandini: Challenge accepted.

Manik let go of Nandini and brought two swords made of gold, one for himself and one for Nandini. Nandini didn't accept the sword Manik gave her as she didn't trust Manik enough to take his sword. She went to her bed and from underneath removed her own sword. Unlike the royal sword Manik offered her, hers was made of steel.

They both stood facing each other with raised swords. Manik bowed down in respect for his oponent and this stunned Nandini. She saw him as a self-obsessed monster who didn't care for others so, his sudden respect shocked her. Nevertheless, Nandini reciprocated by bowing down. This was the first time that she did this without mocking his status as a Prince. This time, she bowed down to a warrior, to her opponent and not the Prince. For the first time, both Manik and Nandini wholeheartedly gave each other respect.