Chapter 47: Hand

The next morning, Princess Alia woke up to see Nandini getting ready. Nandini informed Princess Alia of hers and Manik's daily routine. Princess Alia was shocked to learn that a Prince was working on the field like a commoner. From everything she had heard about Prince Manik, this was something he would never do. I have to admit this girl is very good, but why would he want to give up everything and live like this in a stable and work on the field. Princess Alia thought. The question of Manik's status came up in the conversation between Princess Alia and Nandini.

Nandini: No, but Manik is no longer royalty. He became a common man the day he walked out of your engagement.

Princess Alia: You are incorrect. Whether you have the title or not is immaterial . He is a royal by blood and will remain one till the day dies.

Just as Nandini was about to retort to Princess Alia's statement, one of her students came rushing inside to call her.

Student: Akka... Akka, some men on horses have come and are looking for Manik Anna.

Nandini ran to find Manik. Who are these people and why have they come to find him? She thought. Princess Alia froze thinking King Vednat had sent people to take her back. She followed Nandini anyway trusting that Manik would protect her from King Vedant's men.

Nandini reached the stable and saw Manik. She ran towards him and hugged him immediately from behind. Manik held her and made her stand in front of him.

Manik: Someone is in a good mood.

Nandini: Someone is looking for you. I think we have to hide.

Manik: No, we don't.

He spoke while he was playing with her long black silky hair.

Nandini: Stop playing Manik.

Manik stopped caressing her hair and spoke again.

Manik: We can handle them like warriors and we should not hide like cowards.

Princess Alia and King Vedant's spies were secretly witnessing this conversation between Manik and Nandini.

Within seconds, a few horses stopped near the barn and one man dressed in military attire spoke to Manik.

Soldier: Please welcome our leader, King Veeran, the greatest in the South.

Manik bowed down and Nandini followed his style of bowing down.

Manik: Your Majesty, what brings you here to meet me?

King Veeran: I have a proposition for you that I would like to personally discuss with you privately. You all may go now and leave us alone.

Nandini was about to leave, but Manik held her back.

Manik: Nandini you can stay.

King Veeran: As you please. I came here with Sivanataraja, my chief of Army to ask you to join my force.

Manik: It is indeed a pleasure that you bring this offer to me, but unfortunately I will not be able to accept it.

King Veeran: What do you want? Palaces? gold? women? Ask for it and I will give it to you.

King Vedant's spies heard this and decided to report back to their King. They left immediately.

Manik: I only ask to be left away from royalty. I left everything associated with that life behind and I don't want to look back. I am a farmer now and she ... This is my future.

King Veeran: Fine, this may be your future... But let me make your future better. I know she doesn't own her own land, I will give your family 1000 acres of land if you agree to fight on our behalf just this once.

Manik: I am very sorry Your Majesty but you cannot sway me by your words especially when your men tried to kill me when I was a child.

King Veeran: I did no such thing!
Sivanataraja, did we order the assassination of Prince Manik?

Sivanataraja: No Your Majesty.

Manik: I remember my captors taking your name. I would have died if not for the courage and selflessness of Nandini and her father.

King Veeran: Sivanataraja, call Thiru and find out who ordered the assassination of Prince Manik.

King Veeran: I do not accept defeat. I will stay here and try my best to convince you after I find out who tried to kill you.

Nandini's uncle had just walked into the conversation and realized that Nandini and Manik had been lying to him all this while. Manik is a prince! How could my won niece lie to me! He thought. He hated the royals especially the Nagaram Empire royals who dismissed his brother from work and killed him.

After a while, Manik and Nandini went back to her house to have breakfast.

Venkateshwara: Stop right there. Do not enter my house.

Nandini tried stepping forward but Venkateshwara stopped her again.

Venkateshwara: Nandini, I said stop.

Nandini: I know you heard what happened and we are very sorry uncle.

Venkateshwara: You decide to fall in love with a royal! My greatest fear was that you will end up in royalty just like your father. And now, that has happened.

Manik: Uncle...

Venkateshwara: Not a word from you.

Manik: I have to say this. I know you hate royalty but I am not a royal. I am a farmer and nothing more. I have nothing with me, unless you agree to give your daughter's hand.

Nandini looked at Manik with tears in her eyes. This wasn't the right time to bring up marriage, but it felt right. She felt butterflies flying and fluttering in her stomach. Her heart was beating faster to hear what uncle was going to say. She knew he liked Manik and had accepted her love but after today's events she was unsure.

-------
Did Manik just ask her uncle if he could marry Nandini?
Hope you enjoyed the twist! What will uncle say? Who tried to kill Manik? Will Manik join King Veeran's army? ...
Let me know what you think.
(If you notice any mistakes in this chapter pls write to me and I will correct them. )
Thank you for all the love and support.

❤️
MaNanonymous