Chapter 23: Take me home

Nandini felt she was witnessing a side to Manik that she noticed in his eyes the day he was being abducted by King Veeran's soldiers. She could feel a sense of peacefulness emanating from him. As she continued to glance at him while he tended to the fire that she built, Nandini noticed a fading bruise on his arm. She realized that it was the same one she caused when they fought in the jungle. Did I hurt him that badly? she thought. Within seconds, she stroked the bruise with love and care. Maybe she didn't trust him anymore, but as Nandini acknowledged in the presence of Deepti, there was only one man that she could ever love and he was Manik. The fact that she left a bruise on his flawless body pricked though her soul. As her soft fingered caressed Manik's arm, he closed his eyes taking in the feeling of love that was taking over his senses. What is she doing to me? Just one touch and I feel like I have fought a thousand wars.

Nandini: Does it hurt?

Manik: Not anymore.

Manik smiled at Nandini as she removed her hand from his arm. They sat there in silence, both of them looking at each other from time to time without the other noticing. Should I tell her about my feelings? What if she says no? Will I be able to handle that? No... she still cares for me, she looked so worried seeing that bruise, Manik thought as he looked at Nandini. As soon as she turned to look at him, he turned away so that she didn't think he was gaping at her. Nandini looked at Manik and wondered why he was here on the night of his coronation and engagement. Manik turned and their eyes met, and once again they felt as if time had stopped in each others eyes.

A buzzing rain fly interrupted their timeless eye-lock and Manik spoke breaking their unspoken vow of silence.

Manik: Nandini, you asked me this a while back, and I want to tell you now. I am banished from the Kingdom by the Queen.

Nandini was shocked and upset, after all, he was the Crown Prince. How could he be banished, she thought. It annoyed her that someone could have power over the man she loved. How could his mother do this to him? Nandini questioned the Queen's intentions taking the side of Manik in her thoughts.

Nandini: But... Why? how could she?

Manik wanted to say that nothing mattered more than his love for her, but decided to wait for her response after she heard that he called of the engagement.

Manik: I had to marry a Princess to become King. So, the Queen ordered me to leave as I couldn't fulfill that condition.

Nandini's heart pounced with joy knowing that Manik didn't get engaged to the Princess. Nevertheless, she guarded the external visibility of her emotions. Therefore, Manik couldn't guess Nandini's state of mind after hearing the news. I thought she would be happy hearing the news. Maybe she needs time. I should wait to tell her those three precious words. I should show her that I am sincere in my love for her through my actions before I express my feelings in words, Manik thought.

With her heart content, Nandini drifted into a peaceful sleep and rested her head on Manik's shoulder without her knowledge. Manik bent his head towards hers with a smile and soon he too fell asleep.

At the same time, King Veeran was pacing in his room thinking of strategies to counter the large army of both the Indian Empire and the Westpur Kingdom combined. Maybe I should negotiate a deal, by sacrificing some land to them. There is no way we can win this war, unless I find suitable support in the form of a skilled and tactful warrior.

The rays of the run that peered though the entrance of the cave woke Nandini up. She noticed that she was lying down on the cave floor with Manik's hand wrapped around her waist with their faces facing each other. The sudden realization that she got carried away last night with her buried emotions haunted her. Did I give him the wrong signals? Or were they right? He is not engaged, so its not wrong for me to like him, but have I forgiven him for the deception he caused me and the pain that I went through? Nandini thought as she slowly tried to remove Manik's hand from her waist. The more she tried, the tighter his grip became. It was like he was holding on for his life. The movement from Nandini, woke him up after a while. What a sight to wake up to. Looking at her face in the morning is the most blissful thing ever, Manik thought as he got up.

Manik: Yesterday...

Nandini: was the worst night ever. We have only one horse, so take me home.

Your wish is my command and my home is where you are Nandini, Manik thought. Manik extended his arm so that he could lift her to sit on the horse.

Nandini: I have been riding horses since I was 10, I don't need your help.

She got onto the horse by herself, followed by Manik who sat in front of her. They exited the cave with a bundle of warm memories.

Notes:

Hey readers! A lot of you wanted Manik to tell Nandini that he left the Kingdom and his throne for her. I kind of hinted at that in this chapter. So, she does know that he is not engaged and is no longer the future King of the Indian Empire. However, Manik and Nandini have known each other only for a couple of weeks and there are times when you fall in love but are unable to express it owing to lack of complete understanding of the other person. Both Manik and Nandini need to learn about each other, their likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses before they commit to becoming the strength to each others weakness. I am not planning to separate MaNan, so don't worry! The "I love you" part will come, but you may have to wait for Manik to prove his love to her before saying the words. Hope all of you are ready to see this side to Manik!
Thank you all again for reading voting commenting! ❤️