Chapter 2, Adrenaline and Ash: Day 2's Baseball Bat Bonanza

I was blissfully immersed in a dreamworld when a thunderous voice abruptly yanked me back to reality. "Azalea! Get up, you're gonna be late for school!" My groggy mind protested, wishing for just a few more moments of peace. "Why does morning have to be so loud and demanding?" I thought, half-awake and resisting the inevitable intrusion into my cosy slumber.

"Mike, can I catch some Zs, please?" I mumbled, still half-drowned in the sea of my dreams.

"Yo, it's 8:15 am," he blurted out, acting like the world was about to explode or something.

I tapped the side button on my phone, and it hit me—I'm toast. Bolted out of bed with a groan, muttering, "School and mornings? The absolute worst."

In a race against time, I hustled through teeth-brushing and threw on an outfit. Grabbed a random hoodie, slid into leggings, and gave up on finding my elusive sneakers—opting for flip-flops instead. Just another day in the whirlwind of morning chaos.

My day was already a complete whirlwind—I searched everywhere for my school schedule to no avail. In a frenzy, I tossed random notebooks into my backpack, desperately trying to bring some semblance of order to the chaos.

Before stepping out, I checked myself in the oval stand mirror, totally nailing the "I WOKE UP LIKE THIS" vibe.

My mom left a note and 5 dollars on the kitchen counter, "Azza, had to rush for an early meeting. Left a little surprise for you in the fridge, Love, Mom.''

Amidst the morning chaos, Mom's surprise smoothie flooded me with warmth and gratitude. Her thoughtful gesture, a sweet note attached, radiated comfort and care. "A little something sweet to brighten your day. Love, Mom." Swiftly, I transferred the delightful concoction into my spill-proof tumbler, a smile gracing my lips. In that rushed moment, I cherished the small gestures, finding solace amid the hectic whirlwind of the day.

Fortunately for me, Mike caught a break from uni today, so he played chauffeur and drove me to school.

"Seriously, you need to get your act together, girl." Yeah, he had a point.

"Later, catch you tonight!" I waved, darting off to my class. "And please, try not to stir up any trouble," Mike chimed in.

I sprinted to the classroom where attendance was being taken, catching Ms Claire just as she was leaving. "Miss Green, this is your last warning for tardiness! Next time, it's a trip to the Principal's office," she hollered. Man, her voice is like an explosion to the brain.

"Liz's sarcasm hit me like a meteor. 'Azzy, I thought you ran away to Mars,' she quipped, a mix of annoyance and humour in her tone."

"Ugh...overslept," I groaned, dragging out the 'ugh' for dramatic effect.

"Hey, we've been ringing you non-stop," Bella said, a touch of exasperation in her tone.

"What?" Frantically, I reached for my phone, realising it had been chilling in airplane mode. Well, there goes my flawless morning.

"You can't let a crappy morning dictate the rest of your day; that was my mantra to push through."

"What's our class schedule looking like?" "Oh, crap!" Bella burst out. "What's wrong?" I questioned. "Three rounds of torture with Maths," she wailed. "Ugh," I sighed dramatically, burying my head on the desk.

"Everyone was thrilled, including me, as luck would have it, the Math teacher was nowhere to be found. Slowly, the collective sigh of relief echoed in the air. While Bella and Liz headed to the schoolyard, my excitement led me straight to the canteen, craving a much-needed coffee fix."