Chapter 6 ~ Friends

Edward let out a breath and I laughed lightly at his action. I stepped towards the bed and sat down, willing Edward to do the same.

“You need to get off your foot.” Is all I said to make him move, “Do you know when you get those off?”

He thought for a minute then answered, “Hmm I think within a month at least, I was very lucky. Only a couple bones were fractured in my leg, my arm just snapped in half really. I assume I will have that on for longer.” He finished with a frown.

“Have you ever broken a bone?” Edward asked me.

I grimaced, “Only about 5 times. I used to be so adventurous, but after my 5th cast was taken off I decided I was done being that, I needed to be more careful.” I informed him. Just as I was finishing Esme knocked on the open door, signaling she had come.

She was carrying blankets and pillows, along with a bag of stuff around one arm. Esme walked over to the bed where we sat and put the things down.

“Carlisle told me to grab extras for your arm and leg, they need elevation. This bag has bathroom stuff in it, like toothbrush, hair brush… that kind of stuff.” She smiled widely.

“Oh! And Alice of course is getting you clothes, so you will have something to wear.” She added.

“Thank you Esme, I appreciate it.” Edward told her. She pulled over a chair from the corner and sat down in it.

“Don’t worry about Emmet, he is just a big softy,” she looked amused, “He will do anything you need, along with the rest of us. I’m just so thankful I finally get to meet my nephew!” Esme was in tears now, she leaned forward for a hug and this time Edward embraced back. I sat there, adoring the tie the two of them already had.

As Esme sat up straight her smile grew, by now the tears had stopped.

“I will go make lunch! You two must be starved.” Esme thought out loud.

Edward and I laughed and watched as she scurried out the door. I leaned back on the bed breathed out.

“Is everything alright?” Edward softly asked.

“Of course! Why wouldn’t it be?” I sort of squeaked. 

“You are lying, terrible at it too.” He said under his breath, “What are you thinking?”

I grinned and shook my head, “Esme just makes me miss my mom I guess.” My grin disappeared and my eyes started to swell with moisture. Edward saw this and wrapped his good arm around me, pulling my body up towards his. I loved being close to him, he was so warm and comforting. I sunk down into him, enjoying the moment. I wonder if I will ever get to tell him how I feel. I thought to myself. I felt him rest his cheek against my head and sigh. We stayed like that till a certain someone, namely Emmet, coughed rather loudly.

“Hope I’m not interrupting anything?” He asked suspiciously, winking at us with a half smile on his face. I rolled my eyes, when we didn’t answer Emmet laughed loudly and continued, “Mom said to tell you lunch is ready.” I frowned then got up and grabbing Edward’s hand to help him up too.

“Thanks Emmet.” I dismissed him; I swear he was laughing under his breath all the way down the stairs. I flushed bright pink once we were alone, not making eye contact with Edward, already quite embarrassed.

“Shall we go eat?” I asked him.

He cleared his throat, “um, sure.” Was all he managed to get out.

Edward was being stubborn and not wanting to use his crutches now. As we were walking down the hallway I missed my footing and started falling forward. Before I hit the ground I felt two hard, warm arms wrap around me tightly and pull me up, only for me to fall on top of him instead of my body hitting the ground. There was a huge thud as Edward’s body and mine hit the floor, carpeted thankfully. Air whooshed out of me, as we hit, and I quickly refilled. I looked up at Edward in shock, adoration and fear. I was terrified that he had been harmed greatly, trying to catch my fall. I was in shock because I didn’t expect him to even be able to do that, to react quickly enough. He would have had to been watching me intently to even see I tripped, which I know he wasn’t because I didn’t feel his stare, like I usually did. The adoration came because the thought that Edward would try and catch me and then break my fall with all his injuries only heightened my love for him. Wait-I stopped my thought process, love? Did I say that? Did I love Edward already? I knew the answer, it was plainly obvious, and yes I did. I was scared he would never know this and fall in love with another.