Chapter 17 ~ Pixie's dream

The next morning, I wasn’t even sure if it was the morning. The sky out of the window showed a dark looming gray sky with heavy rain pouring down in straight slants. It was eerie. Thankfully it wasn’t as bad as last night.

It had been a long night at that; I woke only hours later after falling asleep to loud strikes of thunder. I was worried about Edward then, as he didn’t seem to like the storms, least of all in the car. His jaw was clenched and his eyes squeezed shut. He was awake as tears silently rolled down his cheeks, his shaky breathes lifting and falling from his chest forming irregular breathing patterns due to his locked jaw.

“Edward?” I whispered, not wanting to scare him. I tried moving, but his arm was already around me, tightly squeezing whenever thunder would sound. No answer.

“Edward?” I tried again, only to have my voice drowned out by a crash and roll of thunder, followed by a bright flash of lightning. Edward tensed and whimpered quietly, more tears making paths down his face.

“Hey! Edward,” I put my hands on the sides of his head, using my fingers and thumbs to brush away the tears.

“It’s ok, nothing’s going to hurt you, you’re safe,” I whispered over and over, wrapping my arms around him and holding him to me. His tears penetrated my shirt, but I couldn’t find myself to care. Finally after maybe an hour he fell asleep, his head on my chest and his arm around my waist. I leaned my head onto his, quickly finding myself comfortable and dozing.

“Edward, Bella? Are you two up?” I heard someone ask faintly. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes. Edward was still sleeping and it was still pouring outside. What time was it? Alice stood in the doorway, looking hesitant to come in.

“Hey Alice, morning…” I mumbled.

Her chiming laughter was attempted to be hidden, but she couldn’t help but giggle, “Morning? Hardly…it’s almost noon Bella!” She whisper-yelled.

I groaned and looked back at Edward, “Is it supposed to be this bad all day?”

“I hope not, but I’m sure it will be. Dad got home late last night; he was soaked just by walking to the door. Mom just about went into hysterics at how dangerous it was and that he shouldn’t have risked coming home, but of course she was happy he was home. School is canceled due to the flooded roads. Forks hasn’t seen this bad of weather for a while now…” I stopped listening as she went on and on about the rain. Not exactly what I wanted to be thinking about.

“So are you coming?” I heard her ask, tilting her head with a confused look on her face.

“Uh, sorry I guess I spaced out there—“

“Yea, we’ll be right down Alice, thanks.” Edward’s voice interrupted me. Alice smiled and skipped out of the room, closing the door behind her.

“I didn’t know you were up, I hope I didn’t wake you?” I asked.

He shook his head, sitting up and leaning against the backboard.

“No, I think it was Alice and her non-stop talk.” He smirked, but quickly looking sad.

“What’s wrong Edward?” I asked, concern and worry coloring my voice.

“I’m sorry about last night; I didn’t consider…thunderstorms have become something that I can’t handle yet.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” I asked, trying not to pry. He shook his head as if shaking off a bad thought, “No…not yet.”

I nodded and put my hands lightly on his chest, reaching my face up to meet his. I brought my lips to his as his arms encircled my waist. I felt his cast and was reminded to be careful with him.