Chapter 16 ~ The Storm

Edward kept trying to convince me half-heartedly to stay with him and his new family and not go back to Charlie. I didn’t want to go back either, but I told him that I needed to. Charlie couldn’t survive on his own. Carlisle was proud that we decided to talk with my dad. When we told him the events of the morning, even agreeing with me that though he didn’t mind having me and he didn’t want to see me go, it was for the best and I needed to be with my father again.

“But of course you will be visiting all the time. This is your home now, well not the hospital, though you are welcome here anytime too.” He laughed to himself, “but as they put it, me casa es su casa.”

I had to smile at that, “Thanks Carlisle.”

“Esme wanted to take Edward out school shopping today, for things he will need. Seeing as the school year will be coming up in just a few short days.” All the air rushed out of me then and there. I really wasn’t ready to let all the free days go, but I suppose it was for the best. I nodded, looking at Edward to gauge his reaction to school.

“How much longer will the casts be on?” Edward spoke up to ask.

Carlisle thought for a moment. “Actually, the arm cast should be able to come off within a couple days. The break wasn’t that bad and by the X-rays it seems to be healing very quickly. I will set up an appointment for tomorrow to see if that is a possibility.” He smiled as the announced the new-found news. Edward seemed to be happy about that, though we all knew his leg would take longer than a few weeks to heal. 

“How was therapy Edward? Catherine wasn’t to mean now was she?” Carlisle asked, laughing to himself.

“She was very nice, seems to have this calm aura around her. Thank you for setting me up with seeing her.” Edward mentioned. Carlisle walked around his desk from which he was sitting and clapped Edward lightly on the shoulder with a warm smile on his face.

“You’re welcome son. We want you to be as comfortable as possible here.”

Edward blushed. I have never seen Edward blush! He looks so cute when he does that…my mind drifted as Edward and Carlisle went on about whatever they were talking about. I just stared at them, seeing the true connection of what a father and son would look like. Edward’s bruised cheek was healed by now, the scrapes and scratches gone. He looked like Adonis himself, a shining light graced upon his being. He truly was beautiful. I didn’t know what his biological parents looked like, but if they were related to Esme and gave birth to Edward, they must have been stunning too.

Self-consciousness came over me as soon as I realized this. What did Edward see in me? How could a walking, living Adonis love me? I wanted to say, ‘it’s not all about appearances’ but even so…I wasn’t good enough for him either way. No matter how much he said it, it would never be true.

I needed to get chap-stick if I was going to continue to mall over things so much. I think I reopened the cuts on my lip. Ouch.

“Bella,” Carlisle called me, “are you alright dear?”

I raised my eyebrow, “Uhuh, yeah! I’m fine, just uh—thinking.” I stuttered with a sly smile.  Edward didn’t look convinced, but spoke otherwise.

“Are you ready to go love?” he asked. I nodded as an answer while getting up, thanking Carlisle and giving him a hug.

“I will be checking your bandages tonight; will you be at home or Charlie’s?” Carlisle asked me, bringing a smile to my face at the word ‘home’.

“I will be at home then going back to my dad’s tomorrow. If that’s ok of course?” I was suddenly nervous that he thought I was being to forward.