Chapter 8 ~ Feelings and Shopping

After I finally got settled in my room at the Cullen house, I made my way back to Edwards’s room. But as I was passing Carlisle and Esme’s room on the second floor, I head my name. I automatically stopped, and looked around, but nobody was there, then I heard it again, only it was coming from their bedroom. I felt bad about ease dropping, but was curious of what they were saying about me. Though it is known that ease droppers don’t ever hear well of themselves. I stood just outside their door, being very quiet.

“Esme, I see it is his eyes, he has already fallen for her.” Carlisle whispered to Esme.

“I know I saw the same look in my brother’s eyes when he saw Elizabeth. I feel the same thing when I look at you Carlisle. He hasn’t just fallen for her, he loves her, already.” Esme almost pleadingly told Carlisle. No. How can Edward love me? That’s thoroughly impossible. He probably loves me like a sibling or something. How else could he learn to trust me so fast?

“Did you see Edward when Bella left? How almost confused and distraught he was? He looked as if he were going to breakdown in tears.” Carlisle’s voice softened, sadness entering.

“No, but I did see him when you suggested he lay down, he looked terrified, poor thing. Do you fathom its right, him being all bottled up around her?” Esme questioned Carlisle.

“No dear, but I think that he is afraid of scaring her off, maybe we should talk with her, just make sure she understands his situation.”

“I think your right; we can talk with her later though.” Esme suggested.

“I do believe she will be questioning us soon anyways Esme, I started talking about Edward and Elizabeth,” Edward Senior, Carlisle must have been talking about, “not much, but enough that should make her more curious than I know she is.” He continued.

“Hmm,” Esme began, “let’s take care of this tomorrow, and we can talk with her after you come home from work.” I walked away after that, almost on autopilot. I was beyond confused; firstly because I know it is impossible that Edward could love me, secondly, did Carlisle mean to leave the story hanging? Did he want me to confront him about it?

I was ten times more nervous when I knocked on Edward’s door now. When he didn’t answer, I opened the door slowly and peeped in. The lights were off and Edward was in bed. It looked like he was sleeping. I suppose it was pretty late, almost 10:30 PM. thinking of the time made me sleepy, I know Alice wanted to talk and do sleepover stuff, but I don’t know how much more I could take for one day. This day had been the most eventful in a long time. Realizing that I had been staring at Edward’s sleeping form for a while; I stepped out, pulling the door closed behind me. I was letting in light from the hall, that’s what must have woken him because he spoke just before the door closed.

“Bella?” his voice called, thick with sleep. I reopened the door, and stepped back in, closing the door behind me.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Come here please…” Edward sounded as if he was about to fall asleep again. I walked over to the bed. He was still propped on the pillows, but he scooted over, leaving a space on his left side, that he then patted. I looked up at his face, which held a crooked grin, eyes half closed. I hesitated, thinking though all I heard, but only for that. My heart told me to climb next to him and never move. My head wouldn’t stop rethinking everything Carlisle and Esme said, and how they said it. Knowingly, awed, stunned…

“I don’t bite lo-“ He stopped mid sentence. I don’t know what he was about to say, but I sure wanted to know. Without saying anything, I climbed up onto the bed, sitting at first but then laying down on his left side, his good side. Edward wrapped his good arm around me, which pulled my body closer to his. I stopped breathing, scared of what this meant, compared to Esme’s words before. But also because of how comfortable and natural it seemed. I rested my head on his chest, as I had done a few times before, but never thinking of his feelings about this. No- I can’t let myself hope like that! I scolded myself. It’s not true, what Carlisle and Esme said. But no matter how many times I told myself that, I kept thinking about their reasoning to knowing. Edward’s father was the same way with the women he ended up marrying. My thoughts went on and on. I heard Edward sigh quietly, not of annoyance or anger, but of contentment. His head leaned towards mine, but rested it back on the pillow. His arm lightly squeezed my waist, his hand rubbing small circles on my stomach. Again, this felt too natural. I never changed into pajamas. I thought to myself. I silently chuckled when my next thought said ‘who cares’. I quickly feel asleep after that, thinking that nothing could ever be more comfortable then this.