Remember Me

Matt is quiet for a moment. He looks like he is deep in thought. I take that as a chance to slide a bit closer to him.

I take a deep breath, hoping for the best. "Matt, do you remember the day we met?"

He looks at me as if I said something incredibly stupid. "Of course I do."

"What were you thinking when you woke up?"

He closes his eyes. "I wasn't thinking. I didn't want to think. All I wanted to do was live in that moment forever. I wanted to hold you for life." He opens his eyes and stares into mine for a while. He broke the contact. "But it's different now."

"Oh really? How is it different? What, just because I'm sixteen? I've been sixteen this entire time."

"And you never thought about telling me!"

"You can't even imagine the countless nights I've spent awake thinking about telling you."

"Yet you still didn't."

"I was going to. But every time I tried something came up."

"Yeah? Like when?"

"Like the night I woke up in your house. You said that we were adults. I tried to tell you then but you kept talking."

"Why didn't you tell me when we woke up?"

"You said it yourself. I didn't want to think about anything other than being in your arms." He went quiet again. "Look, I know I'm at fault here but you have to understand why I did it. It's not easy."

"How hard is it to tell someone your age?"

"It's hard when you love the person. It's hard to tell someone you love that you aren't who they think you are."

"Yeah but it's harder to find out that the person you love isn't who they say they are."

"Whoa I didn't lie. I never said anything about me being 20 or being in college."

"But you let me believe that you were. That's withholding the truth which is still lying."

"I'm sorry. I just didn't know how to tell you. I couldn't just spring it on you."

"You could have tried harder to tell me."

"I know and I should have. I should have told you at dinner." I smiled at the memory of our first date. "But you couldn't have expected me to ruin a perfect night. I mean it was wonderful...