Chapter 3

I had spent the rest of my weekend with Alec at his house. We played Battlefield, the bug filled game, for nine hours straight. I dominated...like always. I'm a beast at that game, but his mom finally came in and forced us to eat something other that the four bags of chips that we had in his room and shower.

The dreaded Monday comes before I know it. Just like every other Monday, this one drags on, but I have this anticipation stirring inside of me. I want Matt to read my scene. I want to know what he thinks. I've gotten past only wanted the A. I just want him to look at me with some other emotion than betrayal and anger.

All throughout lunch I'm fidgety. I just can't wait for the next thirty minutes to go by. Alec and Hanna keep talking to me but I can't hear them. Well honestly I don't care. Not to be a jerk or anything but the only thing I can think of is Matt and his reaction to my scene. I truly think it's perfect.

Not even ten minutes later, I have had enough. I can't sit here anymore.

"Guys, I have to go." I interjected into their conversations.

I jump up from the table and leave my friends calling after me. I leave the cafeteria and head up the stairs to Matt's room, Mr. Tanner's room. My hands are shaking and my breathing is coming out in ragged pants. My nerves are through the roof.

His door comes into view and my steps falter. My courage and confidence both diminish to almost nothing. With my continuously shaking hand, I knock on his open door to get his attention. He looks up and his eyes brighten then darken, darker than they were before, almost like he's expecting someone else.

"Um hey Ma- I mean Mr. Tanner. " I say awkwardly.

"Hi Mr. Lewis. Why are you here so early? You do know that your class doesn't start for another ten minutes."

"I just wanted to give you my scene. You said it was due today..." I trail off looking down at the ground.

"Right, I did." He pauses. "Did you print it out?"

"Yes."

"Double-space?" He questions.

"Yes."

"Times New Roman font?" His eyebrow raises and if he wasn't being such a jerk he would look adorable.

"Yes, twelve point font." His eyes twitched from annoyance. I just won that battle and he knows it.

"Well great, I'll take it then."

I hand him my scene and our hands touch. My heart jolts and my breath gets caught and it's amazing. Matt must have felt it too because his eyes soften and I swear his thumb is rubbing my hand, but of course with my luck the bell rings ending our little moment.

Matt clears his throat as he pulls his hand away. "Well I'll grade this later, then."

"O-okay." I turn away and I head over to my seat in the back of the room.

"Hey Ky. Why'd you run away so fast earlier?" Alec asks.

"I uh, had to turn in something for one of my teachers. I didn't want to wait until the end of the day to turn it in."

"Oh well why didn't you just say that before?"

"I, uh, I just really wanted to turn it in. I think I did really well on the assignment."

"Cool."

"Okay guys, I've decided to give you guys a quiz to make your Monday better?" The entire class groans in protest. "It's short and not really a quiz. It's just an assignment to get your creative juices flowing for your scenes that are due on Friday." He put an emphasis on the word 'Friday.'