Chapter 6

"Kyle.." He breathes out as he lowers his head. His lips meet mine and something explodes in my stomach.
My body is on fire. It feels like I haven't been touched in years. I smile and my hands tangle in his hair as his tongue explores my mouth.

Suddenly he pulls away. "I can't." He whispers.

My smile drops. "You can't keep doing this to me. I'm not a toy you can just play with whenever you want."

He looks me in my eyes, not letting me out of his grasp. "I know. I..I don't even know." He says frustrated. "I'm just trying to keep you safe. I don't want you to get hurt from this. I can't let you get hurt."

"That's not your decision to make. It's my choice who I'm with. I get to choose my own path. And this is the one I choose. Matt, I choose you. I want you."

A smile tugs at the corner of his mouth. "Is that a promise?"

"That is most definitely a promise. Matt I'm serious. I don't care that you're my teacher. I've never been more clear about anything ever. I don't care what it takes. I'll wait if that's what you want, but I'm not giving up on this."

"But what if-" He tries to reason.

"Then we'll just have to deal with it, if it ever comes to your 'what ifs.'"

"But-"

"Stop. Nothing you say will change my mind. I've made my decision, okay. I'm not going to force you to give me an answer right away. I won't bring it up again until the end of the writing contest. But I swear if you kiss me again, then I'm not going to let you stop. So make sure you really think it through."

A weak smile played on his lips. "Three months?"

"Three months." I confirm with a nod of my head.

"What if I make my decision before then?"

"Then you keep it to yourself." He raises his eyebrow questioningnly at my response. "If you decide that you want to be with me and then a week later give up then I'm not going to be happy. I don't want either of us to waste time. And if you decide that you don't want to be with me then I'll just have to get over it...well one can hope. So just take your time and tell me after they announce the winner of the final overall competition. I hope I make it that far..."

"Okay." He says, agreeing to wait. "I know for a fact that you'll make it to the final round." He says with all the confidence in the world.

"You seem so confident."

"I don't doubt your writing abilities. I've seen what you can do. I would be surprised and even a little outraged if anyone beat you in this competition."

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"For believing in me."

"Always." That put a smile on my face.

"You know, I've never read anything you've written before." I say to him realizing that it was actually true. He's helped me so much the past few days. It's really bumped up the quality of my work.

"I know."

"So are you going to let me read anything?" I question hopefully.

"No." He says matter-of-factly.

"What why?" I whine.

He chuckles. "Because I don't want you to read it."

"But why?" I continue to whine.

"I don't like to let people read my work." Oh no he didn't.

"That's literally what I said to you and you didn't appreciate that. You basically made me give up my privacy rights to my stuff. That's no fair. If I have to share with you, then you have to share with me."

"Okay let's make a compromise. If you make it to the finals, I'll let you read anything and everything you want. Does that sound fair?"

"You said it yourself, you think I'm going to win. I can wait a little while. You should start gathering everything now. I want to read it all. I'm going to win this writing competition."

Matt and I continue to talk until we realized that it was dark outside. We do that a lot. Talking with him is so easy. It's not a forced or awkward thing with him. Conversation just comes naturally.

Before I leave the building, I give Matt my final of the short story. Now I wait. I wait to hear the results of the first round of this writing competition. And I wait for Matt.