Chapter 17

"Can I tell you a secret?" She whispers in my hair. I just nod, knowing that if I say anything else, I'll just start balling. "Matt and I had a conversation about you."

I pull away. Looking in her eyes, I can see that she's telling the truth.

"Mhm, he took me out of class during one of his free periods to talk to me. He's really a sweet guy. He asked me if I was okay with him being with you. Of course I told him that it was okay, but if he ever hurt you, I would cut his balls off with a butter knife.

"He thought it was cute so I had to convince him I was serious. After I was done, he actually looked nervous. In the end, he told me that he had no intentions of ever hurting you because he had no intentions of ever leaving you. He said the only way he'd leave is if you told him to."

By the time Mia finished telling me about her talk with Matt, my face, and Mia's shoulder, are soaked with tears. Mia pulls me back to her and rubs my back soothingly as I take in her words. So he's not running away. Then where is he?

"I'm scared Mia. I'm scared to feel this strongly about him."

"It's okay Ky. Everyone gets scared when they fall in love. I promise, everything will be fine. Now, let's wipe our tears." I didn't even notice that she had started crying. She wipes her teary face and helps me wipe mine. "We really have to go now. I'm sure he'll be here."

I take Mia's hand and she leads me into a room filled with people. As we walk, it seems as though everyone's gaze is on me. If Matt was here, he'd grab my hand tighter and give me a look that makes me lose sight of everyone else in the world. But he's not here.

We take our seats and I pull out my phone, knowing that he hasn't called or texted, but I check it anyway. Nothing. I keep it out though, just in case.

Throughout the entirety of the ceremony I can't concentrate on anything. Is this the bad feeling I've had all week?

All of a sudden, I hear people clapping and screaming. Someone is shaking my shoulders. I snap out of my thoughts when Mia yells, "You won Ky. You actually won."

Matt was right; I won. I stood up when I saw the person on the stage waving me up. I hid my phone in my jacket pocket.

"Everyone," The man begins. "Kyle Lewis. Mr. Lewis, how does it feel?"

I feel nothing. Where's Matt? "It feels, it feels insane."

"How so?" He questions with a small chuckle. It's nothing like the way Matt laughs.

"I just never expected this. There are so many talented people in the country, and out of them all, I was chosen."

"Well I've read everything you've submitted and you are no exception to the talented people. You write in such a sophisticated manner, almost like you've lived a full life and gained so much wisdom." His words his a certain spot in my heart.

"My...teacher once said the same thing."

"He definitely knows what he's talking about then. Well why don't you say a few words for the crowd now." It was more of a command than a question. He walks away and leaves me alone with the mic.

I look down at the podium and see that my speech is printed out for me so all I have to do is read the words. But for the second time, I feel like the words aren't enough. They don't feel right anymore. My feeling of happiness and love is gone and is now replaced with anxiety.

Something is definitely wrong.

"Has anyone ever had a bad feeling before?" I start, deviating from the neatly printed script in front of me. I hear a chorus of replies.