Chapter 16

All day my parents have been asking me questions about my essay and the competition. They seem so happy and proud when they look at me. Maybe Mia was right. They might actually be okay with me being gay. Even though they seem to be happy, I still can't shake the feeling that something is going to go wrong.

"Alright guys, I actually have to go." I say to them after their supposed last question.

"Okay darling. But where are you going again?" My mom asks me.

"I'm just going to hang out with Alec and Hanna for a little while. I'll be home later on." I say. Tomorrow, if everything goes well, I won't have to lie to them anymore. I'll be able to just say that I'm going out with my boyfriend.

"Have fun Kyle. Be safe." They're so genuine but they seem to have a hidden message there

"I will."

I leave the house and drive to the apartment. I'm really excited to see who Tanner is bringing to dinner. I wonder if it's a girl or a boy. Maybe he's bi and has no preference. He seems like he could be that kind of person

I pull into the lot and park next to Matt's empty parking spot. I use the key Matt gave me when his parents were here to open the door. He wasn't home so I grab a drink from the kitchen and sit on the couch. I turn on the tv and flip through random channels until I find something that looks good.

After a while, I hear the door handle jiggle. I get a sudden rush of energy and excitement and rush to meet Matt at the door.

"Well hello to you too." He says after I give him a quick kiss.

"Hi."

"So are you ready to meet Tanner's new person?" He asks me. Matt leads me back to the living room and onto the couch. I put my legs on top of his.

"I can't wait. So did you find out? Boy or a girl?"

"You make it seem like he's having a baby." He laughs. I push him slightly. "Okay okay. Tanner's dating an alien."

"Ha ha." I laugh humorlessly after I get over my shock. "But seriously. Is Tanner gay?"

"In a way yes. Tanner likes people. He'll date anything with two legs."

"So Tanner is bi?" I guess I was right.

"But he's bringing a guy. He still won't tell me his name though. That's not important though. How do you feel?"

What is this man talking about?

"Not to add any pressure or anything but you're probably going to win this competition. Your words are going to be nationally recognized. More importantly, you're coming out to your parents. That's big Ky. You're brave."

"If I was brave, I would have done it a long time ago."

"It's never easy telling your loved ones that you're gay." He comforts rubbing my shoulder lightly.

"How did you do it?"

"All of my brothers are gay and since I'm the youngest, it wasn't that hard." He starts. "But it wasn't an easy thing. My parents actually caught me in my room with another guy when I was sixteen."

"Really? You weren't...you know?"

"No. I had no intentions of ever sleeping with that guy. He was my best friend."

"What happened to him?"

"He's still my best friend." He says simply.

"You and Tanner were together?" I just about scream. It shouldn't surprise me but they just seem so close. I know if I dated my best friend and we broke up then we wouldn't be able to stay friends.