Chapter eight: Ambidextrous

A collection of skeletons dangle from the ceiling of Abby's bedroom. Countless bones of her victims are suspended, like a graveyard in midair. All of them are motionless, soundless, and lifeless. Consisting of dogs, cats, squirrels, and other small animals; Fifty-six in total. Among the gruesome collection are goat and pig skulls, neatly aligned in a row along the floor. Abby has them positioned in order, from smallest to largest. The larger animals were Abby's favorite kills. The larger the body, the more blood there is, and the more cutting of flesh is involved. Abby's knife skills have greatly improved since her first cut into Tabby.

Harrison had assisted her with the first few, helping to steady her hand and cut in straight lines. After that, he sat quietly and observed while she made each cut on her own.

She could have been a surgeon.

Harrison handles the removal of the skin, muscles, organs, and tissue from the skeletons. The process of preparing a skeleton, for collection purposes, is tedious and time consuming. If anything other than bone is left behind, the smell could become unbearable.

Harrison has a special day of training in store for her. "Abby?" He calls for his daughter.

She comes from her room and stands before Harrison, not speaking a word.

"Hold out your hand."

She does without a second thought. Harrison places a black throwing knife in her hand.

"Do you know what that is?"

"A knife."

"Yes it is a knife, but, it's a special kind of knife!"

Harrison has thus far been impressed with her knife skills. He wants to further advance Abby's training with knives.

Harrison stands. "Come with me."

Abby follows him as a rat would, the pied piper. In the backyard, Harrison has set up a target. A bull's eye is painted on an old piece of wood.

As she steps into the backyard, the radiant sun reflects off her pale skin. The brightness of the outdoors is an extreme change from the darkness and gloom she is used to. She squints as she looks around in awe and wonder. Up until now, her whole world has been composed of only the inside of the house. She had no idea the vastness of the outside world.

Harrison snaps his fingers, "Abby, pay attention!" He takes a knife and proceeds to throw it at the target. It sticks.

Harrison turns to Abby, "Now you try."

Abby raises the knife, and throws it. It hits the grass three feet shy of the target.

Harrison patiently hands her another. "Try again."

Day by day, Harrison works with Abby, perfecting her accuracy. After a few weeks at it, Abby rarely misses. She has practiced throwing with her right and left hands, and is equally comfortable using both.

As she gets better, Harrison risks standing behind the target, holding it. A still target has become too easy for her. Harrison walks with it, from side to side. He is unafraid. He trusts she won't miss. Harrison doesn't know if this new skill of Abby's will ever be utilized, but it's comforting to him knowing she possesses the ability. He thinks maybe he will get her another dog so she can practice on a live target.

After target practice, Harrison sits Abby down for a little father to daughter chat. It's more of a lesson than a heart to heart conversation. Her training never really ceases. Harrison doesn't care about connecting with Abby emotionally. His agenda is clear; she must learn the things he wants her to.