Chapter 23: Ready For The Kill

Abby stands unmoving, watching from the front door as the detective looks through the personal effects of her father. Brandy peeks in drawers and cabinets. She opens books and envelopes searching for useful evidence. Abby just stares, her eyes following Brandy's every move; her mind absorbs the full intensity of this moment...the last few breaths of Detective Brandy Page.

Brandy continues to search for anything that might be considered incriminating. She glances to Abby, "So, Abby...what do you and your daddy do for fun?" She keeps her attention on the task at hand, snooping.

A few seconds pass and Abby hasn't responded, Brandy looks up, "Abby? It's okay, you can talk to me."

Breaking her silence, Abby calls Detective Page out on her illegal activities, "What are you looking for?"

Closing a cabinet door, "Oh, nothing really...just looking..."

Abby reminds the detective about the law. "You can't do that."

Brandy stops and turns toward the little girl, "Abby, honey, I can do whatever I want...I'm a detective."

Abby's gaze is zeroed in on Brandy like a set of laser beams, "You need a search warrant for that."

Brandy laughs, "Smart girl...did your daddy teach you that?"

Abby doesn't answer her but she continues to burn a hole through Brandy with her stare.

"I bet your daddy teaches you a lot of things. Doesn't he?"

Brandy makes her way to the couch and sits. She gently pats the cushion next to her, "Come here, Abby. Sit."

Abby is hesitant but slowly makes her way to the couch. She sits.

Brandy looks into Abby's eyes, "Okay Abby, I need you to cooperate or I'm going to have to take your daddy away... you wouldn't want that, would you?"

Abby shakes her head no.

Brandy gives her a smile, "I didn't think so..." she reaches in her pocket and pulls out the pictures of Lynn Holbrook and Sheila Ducane. She holds them up so Abby can see.

"Look at these pictures...have you ever seen either of these women before?"

Abby takes her time studying one picture and then shifts her eyes to the second picture for a few moments. She looks up at Brandy and lies, "No."

"Are you sure? Take a good look."

Abby doesn't look back at the pictures but continues to fearlessly stare at Brandy, "I said no!"

***

Outside in the car, Harrison is starting to suffer a severe panic attack. Every second that ticks by seems like an hour and the anxiety swells higher in his chest. He is having trouble catching his breath. Straining against the tight cuffs, he pulls as hard as he can trying to slip free from his restraints. His fingers are going numb as he damages the nerves in his hands. His hands are too big and his wrists too small. The cuffs are constricted too tightly; there's no way to break free.

***

Brandy is quickly losing her patience with Abby. She puts the pictures away. "Abby, you need to tell me the truth. Has your daddy ever hurt you?"

Abby thinks for a bit, rubbing her thumb against the sore slit on the tip of her forefinger then she shakes her head and lies again. "No."

"Has he ever hurt anyone else that you know of?"