Chapter 33: Forget Me Not

The funeral service is a massive ceremony that won't be easily duplicated. It isn't for the mourning of Detective Ronald Travis' death that everyone has gathered, but for the celebration of his life. Those that knew him well laugh and share stories of the fond memories they had experienced together. Others cry and remember the special times they shared.

As a seventeen year veteran of the North Point police department, Ron was very highly decorated. The entire law enforcement community of North Point and its surrounding jurisdictions are in attendance. Every officer is present to show support for their fallen brother. Each dressed in their full police attire; most of them wearing dark sunglasses to help hide the fact that they are crying.

Many residents of the town are in attendance as well to show their respects. He obviously had a great impact on the people he encountered in his life. With such a large turnout it is a certainty that Ronald Travis was a well-respected and a very loved man. There is no doubt he will be missed by many.

***

Detective Brandy Page unfortunately will miss the funeral of her fallen partner. She awakes from her comatose state this morning, the day of the ceremony. After being kept alive by feeding tubes and other lifesaving equipment for over two weeks, her body is entirely too weak to even get out of the bed.

When her eyes first open she can hardly see. Her vision is blurry like a cloud of white smoke has filled the room. She blinks away the fuzziness and looks around this strange place. Her first sight is confusing, a hospital room. She has slept in this room for so long yet has never even seen it.

'Cough-cough' Brandy winces from the pain her coughing causes to her neck. She reaches up to her throat and suddenly more confusion fills her mind. She feels the thick bandage. As she touches it,she can feel the pain beneath starting to build. Her eyes rapidly shift around the unfamiliar room and she begins to make sense of why she is here.

Brandy presses the call button for the nurse to come. She pushes it quickly and she tries to call for help, "Nur-" Her throat is so scratchy and dry she can't get the words out.

A nurse, Maggie Young, rushes in. "Oh my God...you're awake!" She immediately turns and rushes out to find Doctor Ian Stone.

Brandy struggles to call for her again, "Wait..." It's no use. Her voice is too soft for anyone to hear. She drops her head back on the pillow in defeat, "Come on." She pushes the call button over and over.

The frantic nurse runs fast paced through the halls searching for Dr. Stone. She spots him as he exits another patient's room, "Dr. Stone, you have to come see this!" She grabs his arm and impatiently tugs him toward Brandy Page.

"Maggie what, what is it?"

"Hurry, hurry, she's awake."

The doctor is becoming frustrated with Nurse Young. He plants his footing in the ground and won't allow the nurse to pull him any further. "Nurse Young! Please...who's awake?"

"That detective, the one in a coma, she's awake."

Ian Stone has a look of disbelief, "Oh my God..." He hurries to Brandy.

***

Maggie stays behind. She quickly pulls her phone from her pocket and dials a number.

The familiar voice of her brother, Michael Young, answers. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me. Let me speak to Nancy."

Michael catches the urgency in her voice, "Hey sis, everything okay?"