Chapter 15: Catching Up

'HONK-HONK'

Ron's impatience sounds out loud and clear. Since Brandy's car was taken as evidence and had to be thoroughly inspected for clues, Ron volunteered to pick her up this morning. Now he is regretting the choice. Brandy runs late most of the time whereas Ron is always prompt. Punctuality is one of Ron's biggest pet peeves.

"C'mon Page, Jesus..." He dials her number.

'riiiiinnnnnng'

Ron holds the phone to his ear annoyed, "Damn females."

'riiiiinnnnnng'

Finally she answers, "Travis, sorry, I'm coming...shit...sorry. I'll be right there...ow, damn it..."

The call ends abruptly. Apparently as Brandy was struggling, hurriedly trying to collect herself, she accidentally terminated the call prematurely.

Ron disappointedly shakes his head and rolls his eyes. Why me?

Finally, with just seven minutes left to make the ten minute drive to the station, Brandy rushes from the apartment building with her trusty coffee mug in one hand and her briefcase and jacket in the other.

"Thanks Travis, sorry."

He glances to her, "You're slower than a constipated snail shittin' molasses in the winter."

Brandy's eyebrow raises, "Well, good morning to you too, Sourpuss McGrumpy pants."

"Yeah, well, I didn't get much sleep last night."

"You? Every time I tried to close my eyes, I kept seeing body parts." She rubs the backside of her hand.

"What happened to your hand?" Ron's curious.

"I just burnt it on the coffee pot...somebody was rushing me this morning."

"Hey, don't blame me cause you were runnin late."

Brandy notices she is sitting on a plastic liner, wrapped around the passenger seat. Every time she moves it 'crinkles' and 'crackles'.

Ron notices it's bothering her, "Sorry about that, but it's better than sitting in the kidney seat, unprotected."

She gives him a look and sarcastically adds, "Is it?" 'Crinkle – crackle – crinkle'

Brandy can't seem to find a comfortable position in the noisy seat. 'Crackle – crinkle'. She sighs, "Damn it, pull over!"

"What the hell for? You tryin to make us later than you already have?"

She glares at him, "Fine!"

Without hesitation, Brandy spins around and starts to climb into the back seat. 'Crackle -crinkle'

"Damn it Page, what the hell are you doin?"

She struggles to get between the roof of the car and the top of the seats. She steps on his bagel and smashes the cream cheese all over the center console and the side of Ron's jacket.

Ron looks down, "Hey Page, watch it." The car swerves, 'errrch' his coffee splashes in his lap, "Ah shit..." Ron quickly gains control,"...you're payin to have this dry cleaned!"

"Whatever. Send me the bill." She finally settles comfortably in the back seat and lets out a satisfied 'Ahhh'.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Page?"

"I told you to pull over...hand me my coffee."

"This ain't Drivin Miss Daisy, Page. Do I look like Morgan Freeman to you?"