Chapter 24: Slipping Away

Brandy Page's horrified stare is flooded by tears of fright. She continues to hold pressure on the massive wound as she watches the heartless five year old assassin raise her knife. Of all the ways Brandy had imagined dying, there was one that never crossed her mind; by the hands of a child. Brandy can't help but waste her final thoughts thinking about the morbidity of this situation.

She thinks back to the first encounter she had with Abby in the backyard as she searched for Charlie. She realizes how close she was to the very same fate that she has now become a victim to. It was only a few days ago, yet had she taken the teddy bear offering then she would most likely have been in the same predicament. She blames herself for not recognizing Harrison as a criminal or Abby as a murderer...Abby, a murderer. This thought has Brandy laughing to herself on the inside. Abby, a murderer. She keeps thinking the same thought over and over, and each time it sounds more and more deranged. How the hell could anybody suspect it...a five year old murderer? What the fuck?

Harrison is watching from the car as Abby holds the knife high above her head. He knows if he allows this to happen they will never be able to stop running. The police will not rest. They will search without end until their assailants are finally brought down. Harrison is proud of Abby but he has some resentment toward her. He can only blame himself. He made her grow into the monster she has become. He became careless, and somewhere along the way he lost control of his creation.

Abby looks into Brandy's eyes and she can almost hear them screaming, pleading for mercy. Unfortunately for Brandy, Abby knows no remorse. Throughout her years of trainings and teachings she was never taught the emotions of pity, sorrow, or regret. Abby tightens her grip around the handle of the knife, her mind echoing only one thought, Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill...

"Abby wait!" Harrison hollers through the shattered window of the car.

Abby's arm remains raised but she looks to him obediently. Harrison gets out of the car and slowly walks to her.

Her eyes are fixed on her father, "I want to kill her."

"Abby, look at her. She is going to die. That cut across her throat, it's fatal."

Abby looks down at Brandy and watches as her life slowly slips away. "She said she was going to take you away from me."

Harrison kneels next to his daughter, "Oh Abby, sweetie, no one will ever be able to take me from you." He places his hand on her shoulder. "We'll always be together."

It's a truly affectionate moment between father and daughter. Their first real bonding experience just so happens to be occurring next to Brandy Page as she fights for her life. Abby looks into her father's eyes and believes his words. She believes that they will always be together.

Harrison continues to talk Abby out of her current state of mind. "Abby, watch her. Watch her die slowly." He has hopes that watching her die slowly as opposed to stabbing her to death will help to suppress Abby's appetite for killing, at least temporarily.

Abby keeps her eyes on Brandy's faraway gaze and she slowly begins to lower her knife. Brandy begins to gag as the blood in her throat is choking her. Every cough feels like it is ripping apart the inside of her throat.

"Now. Give me the knife." Harrison holds his hand out and Abby places it in his palm.

Harrison reaches in Brandy's pocket and removes her keys. Releasing himself from the cuffs, his wrists are raw and swollen. He rubs them and smiles down at Brandy sadistically. He leans in close to her and whispers,