Chapter 28: Breaking News

Deciding to stop just outside the boundaries of North Point, Harrison thinks it is wise to stay off the roads. For one, the police will be looking for them. Secondly, the storm makes driving conditions hazardous. Harrison chooses to stop at an old run down motel. He parks the car around the back, out of sight from passing traffic; specifically any police that might be driving in the area.

Having spent most of her life indoors, Abby has never had the privilege to watch a thunderstorm. She stands at the window staring out into the night. Her eyes widen at every bright flash of lightning that illuminates the dark sky. The loud cracks of thunder shake the ground and Abby flinches at the awesome power of Mother Nature. Though it is a scary experience, the excitement of the storm has her adrenaline pumping and she can't seem to look away.

Just across the street from the motel is a bus stop. Abby watches the buses come and go, pedestrians boarding and exiting the buses. The concept of this mode of transportation is interesting to her. Where do the buses come from? Where are they going?

Harrison rests on the bed watching Abby, studying her behavior. He thinks how far she has come and how much she has learned in so little time. She is such an amazing little girl.

"Abby?"

She turns her attention away from the window and looks to her father.

Harrison smiles to her, "How are you feeling?"

Abby lifts her shoulders, "Okay."

"Well, are you at least happy that you finally got to kill the police woman?"

She nods, "Yes." Her emotions remain the same, blank.

Harrison is pleased she is happy. He has high hopes her urges to kill have been satisfied enough that he won't have to worry about her, at least for a little while.

"Daddy? The man at the gas station...he died, just like all of the women did."

Harrison seems confused by her words, "Yes, why wouldn't he?"

Abby isn't sure what she was expecting from her first male victim, "I don't know. I just thought it would be different because it was a man."

Harrison chuckles, "No sweetie, I'm afraid that men and women both bleed red."

Abby is quiet, she seems disappointed.

Harrison sits up, "Abby, it's all about being creative. Do you remember your lesson on resourcefulness?"

She nods, "So it's not about who I kill...but how I kill them?"

Harrison grins a big smile, "That is absolutely right, Abby."

Harrison turns on the television and begins to flip through the channels trying to find something that meets his educational standards. "Come have a seat." He pats the bed. "I want you to sit here and watch T.V. Okay?"

Abby sits holding her teddy, her eyes glued to the screen. Harrison stops at the program COPS.

"Pay close attention to this program. You can learn how the police think." Harrison stands observing her for a moment. "I'm going to take a shower and after I'm done maybe I'll order a pizza, okay?"

Abby doesn't take her eyes from the show but acknowledges Harrison, "Okay. I like pizza."

***

Steam fills the small bathroom as the hot water beats down upon Harrison's body. The water is refreshing and relaxing as his muscles are sore and tired. Since his struggle with Brandy in his front yard this morning, Harrison has been looking forward to this therapeutic shower. While the water is swallowed noisily by the drain, he tries to concentrate on a plan. He must do whatever it takes to avoid being captured. His mind plays out every possible scenario it can imagine; each one ending badly for Harrison. He can't foresee his future as a free man. Harrison is more concerned about Abby's future than his own. He feels he has the responsibility of Abby's future in his hands and he must do whatever is necessary to ensure she does not end up in the custody of the law.