Chapter 32: Game Over

Ron feels like a sitting duck. The room is nearly pitch black with the exception of the small corner Ron has backed himself into. He can't see the girl but he knows that she can see him. Ron drops the teddy bear and the knife. He aims his gun in the direction that Abby had last spoken from. His hands are shaking badly and his mind is still trying to unwrap the twisted revelation that this five year old little girl is a serial killer. It's almost unfathomable for him to think of a child purposely committing murder.

Ron slowly gets his nerves under control, attempting to silence his heavy breathing. He listens but the room is quiet. Ron would have believed the little girl was no longer even in the room except that the door is still closed and there is no other way out.

Knowing she still must be in the room somewhere, he begins to try and negotiate with her in the hopes his life might be spared.

His voice cracks, "You don't have to do this you know...we can get you help."

From the left area of the room Abby's voice confirms she will not be surrendering, "You're the one that needs help."

The thought of having to kill her weighs heavily on Ron, "Please don't make me do this, give yourself up, it's not too late."

From the right side of the room she warns, "It's too late for you."

The words she speaks sends chills down his spine. He is silent, waiting for her to make the next move.

Abby laughs again from another part of the room. "Hee-hee-hee."

Ron has no idea where she will go next. It is disorienting in the dark room and he won't risk taking a shot unless he is certain of his targets whereabouts. He sits frozen, listening. He waits as the seconds tick by ever so slowly. Abby doesn't make a peep.

Ron's yells, "Well c'mon then! If you're gonna kill me then come and kill me."

A throwing knife whizzes through the dark and finds its mark in Ron's chest.

He grunts in pain, "Urrgghh!"

His breathing quickly becomes a tiring chore. His chest is tight and he can't draw the deep breaths he needs. The sharp pain in his chest burns terribly. He grabs his chest and blood covers his hand.

Ron fights for the air he needs to speak, "You...can't...do this..."

Abby's voice comes from a closer range, "You can't stop me."

Another knife cuts the air and sinks into Ron's chest. He hollers again and aims his gun toward her voice but a third throwing knife stops him from shooting, landing in his chest between the first two knives. Ron drops his gun and it slides into the darkness just out of sight.

Every breath is a struggle as the pain of the knives makes inhaling nearly unbearable. "Why...why are you... doing this?"

Abby walks out from the shadowed darkness and stands visibly in the moonlight, "Because it's fun." She smiles evilly and bends down to retrieve her knife.

The tears in Ron's eyes admit his fears. Every breath he can manage to take feels like it might be his last. His bottom lip quivers and his whole body starts to shake uncontrollably with tremors of terror. He stares helplessly into the blank eyes of the five year old monster as she holds her knife looking back at him.

Ron tries to blindly feel around in the dark where his gun had gone. He desperately swipes the floor but feels nothing. He looks back to Abby as she takes a step closer. Ron wastes the last of his energy searching for the gun. He can barely hold himself in a sitting position. His arms tremble with every inch he tries to scoot himself away from Abby.