Gold Digging

"It's okay Brenda, I know her." She rolls her eyes and sits back at her desk. What's her problem? Noah ushers me into his office. "Is everything alright?"

"Uh..." I freeze. I don't know how to tell him. This whole time, I never thought of what I would say when I actually saw him.

"I-I.." At that moment, I throw up all over his shoes. Of course, I do. He grabs a few napkins and hands them to me. He then grabs a few more and uses them to take off his shoes.

"I'm s-so sorry." I stutter.

"Don't worry about it," he says as he sits me down on one of his office chairs. He rubs my back. Why is he being so nice to me? I just threw up all over his carpet. He looks me in the eyes.

"Are you feeling better now?" I don't know what provokes me, but the words uncontrollably escape from my mouth. "You got me pregnant." I quickly cover my mouth, wishing I could retract my words. He stops patting my back and stands up. He puts his hands on his hips and bites his lips.

"That's impossible," he says.

"I know it was only a one-night stand. I mean, I was surprised too," I start.

"You're lying."

"Excuse me? Do I look like a gold digger to you? I know you're rich and everything, but do you really think I'd get away with lying about having your child? There's something called DNA, you know?" I continue with my rant. "This was a mistake telling you. I knew I should never have come here." I get up to leave and he grabs my shoulders.

"No, I don't think you're lying. You might just be confused." He moves towards the window. "Three years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I was treated with chemo and I'm in complete remission. I was cured. But when I beat it, my doctor told me I wouldn't be able to have kids because of all the chemo." He says. The room grows quiet. This situation is worst than I thought.

"But you're the last guy I slept with," I whisper, processing everything he is telling me. He looks at his ring. "Can we please take a DNA test? It's not that I don't believe you. I just want to be sure before I-it's just unbelievable that's it. I want to be sure."

His request doesn't upset me. I understand why he would ask for one. I agree to it.

"We'll go right now," he says.

"Now?" I ask.

"Yes now." He grabs his jacket and puts it on.
He pushes a button on his phone. "Brenda, cancel my one o'clock meeting, I'm going out."

When we leave his office and pass by Brenda, she gives me a dirty look. What is this woman's problem? Is she in love with him or something?
He escorts me to his car and I almost forget that Dayna is still waiting for me. I text her to let her know she should go home and we drive to a hospital. Within an hour and forty-five minutes, we've both been tested.

"How long will it take?" Noah asks the doctor.

"It should take about three days."

"Is there a way we can rush the process? It's an urgent matter."

"They usually all are," the doctor says as he leaves the room. "I'll call you in three days." We sit there in silence.

"So I guess I'll see you in three days?" I ask him.

"Sure. I'll drop you home," he says as he gets up. We walk to the car and the drive to my house is awkwardly quiet. I keep my eyes focused on my lap the whole ride. He drops me home and barely says goodbye. I must have unleashed some past demons of his. I get in the house and Dayna rushes toward me.

"Ava! How'd it go? What'd he say?" I throw my purse on the couch. She looks at my facial expression. "What happened?"

I tell her everything, from the moment I walk into his office and vomit on his shoes to the nurse taking the baby's DNA.

"Are you serious? Oh my God...are you sure it's not Chris' baby though? Maybe you made a mistake. Wouldn't that be so embarrassing if it was? You'd really look like a gold digger."
Of course, she turns this into a joke. I ignore her and walk to my room.

"Ava, I'm just joking. Don't be mad," she calls out. I close my door and bury myself under my covers. This is too much for me right now. How did I end up in this mess?

A/N, I really hope you're liking the book so far. I know some of the medical facts may not be 100 percent accurate, like at what week the baby can be DNA tested, but I really wanted to make everything urgent for the storyline. Thanks for reading :)