Awkward Encounters

I get up in the morning and look at my calendar. I have this day circled. Today is the prenatal appointment. Today is also the day I'm going to meet Noah's fiancé. The thought of that sends shivers down my spine. What if she's a witch? Or worst, what if she's super nice?
I should get ready. I should look good. I ask Dayna for help.

"What should I wear?" I ask her.

"You need something that says: I'm a hot pregnant woman, but I don't have to try hard to be hot. Go for hot, not sexy. Sexy means you're trying too hard." I look at her in confusion. What the hell does all of that mean?

"So what do I wear?" I repeat the question.
She sighs.

"High waist pants, your brown cropped cowl neck sweater, and your beige low heel booties."

"Thank you! Why didn't you just say that in the beginning?" She rolls her eyes and leaves the room.

"Tell me when you need me to do your makeup," she calls out. I get dressed and look in the mirror.
Dayna was right, this is perfect.

"Dayna! Makeup time!" I call out from the bathroom. "Hurry, he's going to be here in twenty minutes."

She comes into the bathroom and starts immediately. Dark Brown eyeshadow. Eyeliner with wings. Another layer of eyeliner under my eyes. I love when she does the eyeliner. It brings out the hazel colour of my eyes. I look in the mirror one last time, I look hot. I quickly grab a bagel and spread cream cheese on it. In a few minutes, I get a phone call. It's Noah, he tells me that he's here. I quickly grab my jacket and purse.

"Bye Dayna," I call out before I leave the house.

I get into the car and it's just Noah.

"Where's Devlin?" I ask him, hoping he tells me she cancelled.

"She's going to meet us there," he says instead.
Disappointment sweeps over me. He looks at me.

"You look great," he says. I blush. He pulls off and we head to the hospital. We sit in the waiting room fifteen minutes early. After two minutes of waiting a woman walks in and waves at Noah. It's Devlin. She's even more gorgeous than I thought she would be. She is tall and beautiful. She has long thick dark brown hair that reaches under her breasts and her eyes are a beautiful green colour. Her makeup is flawless. Perfect eyebrows sit over her eyes. Her french manicure is upkept and looks like it was just done. On top of that, she dresses in name-brand clothing. Every single item from head to toe is name-brand. She wears clothes I could only dream of affording. I look at my booties and her red stilettos and I can't even compete. She's very intimidating. She smiles at us. Her teeth are snow white. She comes over and Noah introduces us.

"Well aren't you cute," she says to me. I smile, not sure if it was meant to be a compliment or not. I have a feeling it was not.

"How far along are you?" She asks me.

"About 7 weeks," I say.

"Oh yes, at the bachelor party during the time he was engaged to me," she says holding her smile. It turns awkward.

"Devlin," Noah says in a warning voice.

"What?" She asks innocently. He shakes his head. The doctor calls us in. Thank God.

"Hello," she introduces herself. " I'm doctor Waters. Who's the one that's pregnant?" She asks. I raise my hand.

"Hi," I say. She pats the chair. "Come on up here and lay down," she says and I do.

"So, is this your first baby?" She asks me. I tell her yes. "You excited?" I pause.

"Yeah," I lie. She tells me to up my shirt and zip down my pants. My stomach is now exposed. It is very awkward that Noah and Devlin are both in the room watching me. She pours a blue gel on my stomach. It feels cold. She then checks my stomach and the inside of my uterus appears on a screen.

"It looks like you're almost 8 weeks pregnant." She shows us the baby. "Do you hear that?" She asks. "It's the baby's heartbeat." A thumping sound fills the air. I look at Noah and he's overjoyed. I look at Devlin and she looks like she could shoot me and not blink once.

"There's your baby." She points at the screen and a little alien-looking creature appears. I can't help but smile. It's kind of cute. Noah takes my hands and smiles at me.

"Do you want a picture of the baby?" The doctor asks.

"Yeah," I smile.

"Can you print two copies?" Noah asks.

"Of course," the doctor says. She gives me tissues to wipe the gel off and she goes to get the pictures. I look at Noah who's fixated on the screen. His hands are still holding mine. This makes me smile a bit. I glimpse at Devlin who is also looking at our hand holding and she's not happy about it. I quickly take my hand back and wipe the gel off my stomach. The doctor comes in and gives the photos to both me and Noah. We leave the appointment after the doctor tells us when need to come back for a follow-up in a few weeks.

We get outside and I'm about to walk to Noah's car when he gets a text message. "Damn, I have a meeting I forgot to cancel, it starts in fifteen minutes." He looks at me.

"It's okay, I'll drop her home," Devlin says.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

"Yeah, it's no problem," she says. "It's on my way to the spa."

I want to scream and say no, but I don't want to make Noah late for his meeting. Plus, I have never been to this side of town before and I don't know what bus to take to get home. He kisses her and then kisses me on the forehead. A few minutes later, I find myself in the car of the woman who is engaged to the guy I'm having a baby with.