The Baby is Coming!

They continue to stare at me in disbelief.
"Well, take me to the hospital!" I yell at them.
"Right!"
They help me walk to Noah's car.

"Oh my God Ava, it's happening!" Dayna says in excitement.
"She's early," Noah says in concern.
Unbelievable. I think to myself. Of course, the baby comes when I am not prepared. This whole pregnancy was unprepared. I could already tell that this baby is going to give trouble.
When I look up. I see Dayna in the back seat staring at me and Noah in the driver's seat watching me through the mirror. It's quiet. Oh my God, did I just say that aloud?
I cover my mouth.
"It's too late," Dayna says. "We already heard you."

I start to feel contractions within ten minutes of the drive. I cry in pain.
"Are we almost there?" I ask anxiously.
"In a few minutes," Noah replies.
"Just breathe," Dayna says.
"What do you think I've been doing for the last ten minutes?!" I bark back. The pain is uncomfortable. With every contraction, it gets worst.
At one point, I'm almost yelling.
"You're such a drama queen!" Dayna says. I try not to get angry with this comment. Wait until she has kids. She'll see.
"We're almost there," Noah says.
In two minutes we get to the hospital and they put me in a wheelchair. Noah wheels me in while Dayna checks us in.

In another five minutes, I'm laying on a bed. A nurse and doctor accompany me. The doctor fills me in on how the pregnancy is supposed to go.
"Is it dangerous that she's a month early?" Noah asks. You can tell he is very concerned.
"Not necessarily," the doctor says. "I've delivered babies at a much earlier time in the pregnancy. I wouldn't be too worried. From what I can tell from the ultrasound, the baby looks fine. We'll be able to get a better idea when she is born."
I stay in the hospital for another thirty minutes and still no baby. Instead, the contractions are less apart and more painful. I have chosen to do a natural birth to make sure there will be no more casualties with this birth.
Ten minutes more and Sasha and Noah's father Michael join me. Another five minutes and Devlin arrives with Noah's mother Nina. When I see them, my mood drops dramatically.
I get tensed. The doctor notices this and asks everyone to leave except for Noah.

When the doctor finally tells me it's time, I'm both relieved and terrified. I want this pain to stop, but I'm not ready for this baby to appear.
I push for what seems like hours.
The pain is excruciating. Noah holds my hand and Dayna cheers. God, she's so annoying right now.
After several minutes of pushing, yelling and screaming, a cry fills the room. I want to faint. Never in my life have I ever felt so much pain.
They wipe Melody off and hand her to me. She's so tiny. She's perfect. I cry a little. She was worth every ounce of pain. Noah approaches me. Happy cannot describe how he looks right now.
Everybody comes in the room. Sasha is over the roof excited. She begs to hold The baby. "What's her name?" She asks.
I smile at Noah before I answer.
"Melody Cara Knight."
Noah's mother is reluctant at first. She looks angry but then when she sees Melody, her face softens.
Devlin stays cold the whole time. She stands against the wall. Her face is smothered with envy. Either nobody notices or they choose to ignore her. For once, the attention is not on her.
Everyone takes turns holding the baby until the nurse takes her away to run some tests.

When night comes about, almost everybody leaves. Noah and Devlin are the last ones at the hospital. The baby has fallen asleep and I lay in bed, bored. Noah and Devlin enter and their conversation doesn't sound pleasant. They start to bicker and I pretend that I am sleeping. Devlin begs Noah to come home tonight. Is she kidding right now?
"Are you that selfish that you'd ask me to leave Melody on the night of her birth?"
"It's not like she's going anywhere, she'll still be here tomorrow."

He just looks at her without saying a word. This look is similar to the look his dad gave to his mom at the dinner table that night.

"Please Noah, I don't want to be alone tonight." She pleads. "Plus," she says more seductively, grabbing his shoulders ."You know what we have to do tonight."
"No, Devlin." he pushes her off. "I can't believe you."
"I'm sorry," she says insincerely.
"I'm staying here tonight. You're welcome to stay if you want."
I pray she goes home.
She looks around my hospital room in disgust. "Where am I supposed to sleep?"
"On the chair. There are also waiting rooms you can sleep in."
"No thank you, I will be at home if you change your mind." She storms out of my room and hopefully out of the hospital.

Noah sighs and sits down on the chair facing my bed. He looks stressed. I feel bad for him for a second but then quickly realize he's choosing to marry her. I fall asleep to those thoughts.

I wake up to Melody crying. I pick her up and feed her. Noah is still sleeping. I don't see how he's sleeping through these cries. He must be very tired. When I put Melody back to sleep, I tap Noah's shoulders. He looks very uncomfortable in the chair. He wakes up abruptly.

"Is everything okay?" He looks at me and then at the baby.
"Yes, You look very uncomfortable. Did you want to come up on the bed?"
He looks at the bed. "Are you sure?"
"Yeah, sure, It's not the king size that you're used to, but it can fit us both," I say.
He laughs. I get up on the bed and he gets in after me. It is big enough for both of us to sleep in but no room to move around. He sleeps with me hugging me from behind. I love this feeling. I wish we can stay like this forever. I'm dreading having to get up tomorrow morning.