Surprise!

"So what do you wanna do for your birthday tomorrow?" Dayna asks me.
"Well Sasha was going to take me out to dinner, I was going to ask if you wanted to come."
"Just to dinner? No party? No clubbing? Come on Ava, that's so boring."
"Dayna, I'm pregnant. What do you think I can really do? I can't drink, my back is always hurting and I can barely go places without throwing up."
She rolls her eyes. "Fine dinner it is, but after, I'm going out clubbing, with or without you. Hell, I'll party for the both of us."
She picks up her phone. "I gotta get to work, I'll see you tomorrow. What time is the dinner again?"
"Five, don't be late!"
"I won't," she says before she leaves the home.
It's late so I decide to go to bed.

*
When I wake up, Dayna isn't home.
Hours later and she still isn't home. I try to call her cell phone and there was no answer.
It's four o'clock and she's still not home. She was my ride there. I call Sasha and in thirty minutes she's at my house.
"Sorry about this, I know it was out of the way, my ride didn't show up."
"Ava, it's really no problem."
"I should really get a car."
She pulls off and we head to dinner. I'm not surprised when Dayna doesn't show up. At the end of the dinner, Sasha tells me she wants to take me to one last stop. She drives me to a place I've never been before. She stops in front of what looks like an abandoned restaurant.
"Sasha, where are we?" I ask her.
"You'll see."
I get worried when I get out the car and she doesn't follow.
"Go inside, there's a surprise for you," she says.
"Sasha, this isn't funny," I say.
"Don't worry, just trust me. Go"
I take a deep breath and head inside the restaurant. When I get there, a group of people pops up beside me and yells "SURPRISE!"
I scream. They all start to laugh. Standing in front of me is Noah, his father, Eric, Dayna, Amos and other friends from school. Dayna runs to me and hugs me.
"I hope you're not mad that I skip dinner." I laugh and hug her back. I was but I now understand why she wasn't there.
"This was all Noah's idea," she whispers in my ear.
Noah approaches me. He gives me a hug. Sasha pops up behind him. I hug her tightly. "That was good," I say to her. She smiles.
We party for hours before everyone leaves. It was a great night.

When everyone leaves, I find Noah sitting in a booth alone. We're the last ones here.
"Thank you," I say to him.
He pulls out a mini cake from behind his back. "I wanted to keep this just for you. Sasha told me how much you loved cheesecake."
"It's my favourite dessert."
"And there's strawberries." He says
I grab it from him. "Awe, you're just the sweetest."
He smiles. We eat the cake together.
"That Amos guy really likes you huh?" He asks.
I shrug.
"The way he looks at you, there's no hiding that." For a moment, I think he looks kind of jealous.
I avoid this topic, however. I don't want to get into the story of Amos and me.
We talk for hours before I get a phone call.
"Avana Stephenson?"
"Yes?"
"This is June Beth, calling from the Lakeridge Facility. I am very sorry to tell you that your grandma passed away this afternoon. We assumed she was sleeping, but when she didn't show up for dinner, we decided to check on her. I'm sorry."
I hang up the phone without saying bye and I break down in tears.
"What's wrong?" Noah asks me.
"My grandma died," I say. "She was the only relative I had left."
He holds me in his arms. This guy who I just met has been here for me time and time again. I'm starting to fall in love with him. He grabs a napkin and wipes my tears. There he goes looking in my eyes again. He looks like he's about to kiss me when his phone rings.
"Hello?" He answers. I hate whoever decided to call.
"Noah?" I can hear someone on the other line.
"What's up, Devlin?" What do you know, I actually really do hate the person on the line. I stand up.
"I just wanted to know where you were, it's one o'clock."
"I'm coming home now, I'll see you soon." He hangs up.
He takes out his keys. "Uh, I uh, should probably bring you home," he says. I nod and follow him to the car. The whole ride to my house is quiet. We exchange goodnights and I enter my home.
If it wasn't for that phone call who knows what would have happened? I really hate Devlin.