His Butler, Chance Encounter (part 1)

~~Claire's POV~~

I was tied and gagged, just like poor Mary in front of me. I was supposed to be killed after her, in her own apartment. The room was lit by a single candle and loud opera music played. We were both shaking in fear. Mary tried desperately to free her hands with tears in her eyes, but was unsuccessful. I had given up on escape after I almost froze to death the night before. I had accepted that I was going to die, but I wasn't ready. I was afraid.

Grell was with us and Madam Red was most likely with Ciel. He untied Mary's gag, leaving red marks on her cheeks. A single tear fell down her cheek. She cautiously looked up and her eyes went wide when Grell came close to her face. He put a finger to his lips.

"Shh", was all he said and he smiled. It was raining hard outside. There was no use screaming anyway. Mary probably had regrets, and I had some of my own. I mentally went through a list of my regrets over and over.

If only I would've stood up to 'him'. If only I would've turned them all in, once I escaped. If only I would've made it to Ciel in time. If only I would've told him how I feel.

My regrets were probably nothing compared to Mary's, after all she was at least 25 years old. However, those were my regrets and they weighed heavily on my mind, but it was too late.

After a little while, Grell turned to the table. Mary watched in fear as I cried, awaiting my death just like her. Grell picked up Mary's make-up container and brush. He faced Mary and I and moved the brush around in the container. He noticed my fearful gaze and smiled.

"Don't worry. I'll make you beautiful in a moment", he said and lifted the brush. It had red on it. He began to paint Mary's quivering lips red. All of a sudden, there was a deafening sound of thunder and a flash of white lightning. Mary and I jumped.

I nearly made the mistake of thinking that was 'the light'...

When Mary jumped, Grell had messed up on her lips. He grimaced and muttered to himself.

"Damn", he said. He grabbed Mary's face by her cheeks, with one hand. He came close to her face and more lightning flashed. My attention turned to the opened case of hospital-like utensils. I knew what was coming soon. Grell would use those tools to kill Mary, right in front of my eyes, and then use those same tools to cause my demise. I began to quietly sob, as I wished to see Ciel one last time.

All of a sudden, Grell looked at his watch. I looked up and he was smiling at Mary and I evilly. "I have to go get my mistress. We will be back to finish the two of you off in a little while", he said. He put on his coat and left. After he was long gone, Mary started to scream for help. I shook my head and pulled on my chains to get her attention. She looked at me with the same fear in her eyes. I looked at her, pleading. I couldn't speak, since I was gagged, so all I could do was hope she understood my thoughts.

Please stop. It's no use. If they hear you, it'll only be worse...

Mary gave me a sympathetic look, probably from the fear in my eyes, and started to cry. I wanted to help her somehow, but I was tied to the acre that was my fate. Reminded of this, I began to sob quietly.

~~Ciel's POV~~

It was late in the night, now. I had just heard of Claire's disappearance earlier that day. I was playing chess with Madam Red.

"This is no time to be playing chess", I said. Madam Red moved her chess piece.

"Working obsessively at it will lead to no good", she said. It was true, I had been working the Jack The Ripper case and Claire's disappearance all day. However, I found it perfectly reasonable. "Why not leave everything to Sebastian?"