His Butler, On Ice (part 1)

~~Claire's POV~~

I woke up early in the morning, the sun shining into my room making everything shine happily, but I couldn't smile. Not now. The manor had been buzzing with talk of Ciel's birthday coming up, but I wasn't sure when it was. Of course, Ciel didn't know any of this. All the talk about birthdays was getting to me. The guilt, pain, and sadness from my own birthday coming back to haunt me like it did every year. It was unusual that I felt these things so strongly on a day that wasn't my birthday. It was normal for me to feel sad and guilty and all, but it usually didn't hit me this hard on a day that wasn't my birthday. Then I remembered my plans for today. Ciel and I were going to the Frost Fair today with Sebastian. Since Ciel and I were sort of a couple now and planned to be an official couple soon, he suggested we spend some time together and he says the Frost Fair was perfect. I smiled at the thought, pushing my other memories aside. I quickly got dressed as I heard Sebastian calling my name and rushed downstairs so we could leave.

<Time Skip: To Fair>

"Ladies and gents, this hasn't happened in eighty years! You can't pass up this chance! Come on by!", a man called to passers by as Ciel, Sebastian, and I arrived. There were people everywhere doing almost anything. I took in the scene as I walked beside Ciel.

"I see. 'Frost Fair' is an appropriate name", Sebastian said as we walked by a statue made of ice.

"I'm told this is the first frost fair on this scale to be held on the frozen Thames at the foot of the London Bridge since the year 1814", Ciel said as we continued to walk. The air was cold and the ice was slick, but not slick enough to slip and fall...or so I thought. As I felt myself falling, I was caught at the last second. I looked to see who had caught me and it was none other than Ciel. I smiled in thanks and I saw his cheeks tint a slight pink. He helped me regain my footing, grabbed my arm, and looped it through his. "W-We should probably stay like this, so you don't fall again."

I smiled at him as I blushed and we continued walking. As I was looking around, I spotted three men on the bridge above us. It was normal for people to walk on the bridge, but there was something off about them. I decided to ignore it and kept waking with Ciel and Sebastian.

"Roll up, roll up! I'm sellin' these cheap enough to blow even Jack Frost away! Why not buy one for Christmas?", a man at a stand called. Ciel smirked and I looked at him curiously.

"What is it, my lord?", Sebastian asked.

"Those are all inferior goods. If the river freezes again next year, Funtom could set up shop", Ciel said and lifted his walking stick to point at a toy Noah's Ark. "For example, that's-"

"Ah, hello there, my noble lad! You have a good eye. That's a fine piece from Funtom Workshop. In other words, from when the popular Funtom Company was still a craft studio!", the man said proudly. Ciel looked at him with a straight face.

"A blatant fake of one, you mean. The Funtom Arks are rare-- only three sets were ever made, by an artist my predecessor patronized who used the finest technology. Since our mansion burned down, even we no longer have one. They certainly wouldn't turn up here", Ciel said. His attention was caught by Sebastian once he began talking again.

"Noah's Ark...it's like this nation itself", he said.

"What?"

"A boat led by a single skipper. The only ones saved are a select few. It's an arrogant idea", Sebastian said with a smile.

"You're..."

We all turned to face the voice to find Abberline.

"If a Scotland Yard inspector has time to frivol about here, I suppose there must be peace in London...for today", Ciel said with a smirk which seemed to offend Abberline.