Chapter 1- It's Always Worse Than It Seems.

Liam Payne sits in the never ending traffic, one hand tapping on the steering wheel impatiently, the other carelessly messing with the radio dials. He begins to get antsy, checking his watch yet again. 10 minutes until the press conference involving the band's new perfume.

"No way I'm going to make it." He mumbles to himself, finally giving up on his punctual ways.

     He glances around at the sea of cars in front of him, all unmoving. Looking for nothing in particular, he keeps watching, waiting for the slightest movement of tires in front of him. He finally looks up into the tall London skyline. By this time the conference has already started, obviously without him. The people involved in management were not ones to wait around for a late member. All of the other boys would offer to wait of course, nothing was ever the same if it wasn't all of them.

      A second later, his phone starts ringing, indicating a call from their bodyguard Paul.

"Hello?" Liam asks into the speaker.

"Liam! Where in God's name are you?" Paul asks, sounding frantic.

"Stuck in traffic. No one is moving." Liam explains, rubbing his forehead with his large hand.

"They've already started. Get here as soon as you can, please." Paul says tiredly.

"I'll try my best." Liam answers, as he hangs up.

       Just as Liam looks up from putting his phone in his pocket something catches his eye. No, not something, someone.

      A few buildings ahead, a woman stands at the top of the building, at the edge, looking like the slightest breeze could cause her to topple over the side. Liam is shocked by the sight at first, unsure what to do. Call 911? Yell to her? No. There's no time for that. He lets the adrenaline take over, no longer thinking. He swings his car door open, almost slamming into the car stopped next to him. He weaves in and out of cars, finally making it to the opposite side of the street. He sprints faster than he ever has before. Faster than when he was a part of the cross country team in 7th grade. Fast.

      As he quickly approaches the building the girl is at the top of, he realizes it must be abandoned, the boarded up windows and crumbling bricks confirming his ideas. It takes a few shoves to get the  rusted door hinges to budge, but he finally bursts through the door. Liam frantically pushes the elevator button to go up, praying it would work. Nope. He swings open the door indicating the fire escape stairs, running up them as fast as he can, hoping he can get there before..........before anything happens.

      The continuous flights of stairs are beginning to take a toll on his tired body, but he pushes through, finally reaching the 12th floor. He searches for the door that opens to the roof, finally finding it and walking out onto the tall building.

Thank God. Liam praises when he still sees the girl standing at the edge.

      He approaches her slowly, knowing what could happen if he were to frighten her. 

"Please." Liam begs when he is no more than 10 feet away, and he can now hear her quiet crying, as she battles herself in her mind about this life-ending decision. She trembles at the sudden noise, but doesn't move.

"Please love. Please turn around and come here." Liam tries again, stepping closer to her. She appears younger than he originally thought. No more than 17, most likely less. Her thin body is shaking, from fear and from the bone-rattling sobs she is now letting out.

      Liam almost breaks down at the sight, but must stay strong for her. But there is nothing he can do to stop a few tears from falling out of his eyes, his voice now shaky.

"Please come talk to me. Don't do this." He says, his body trembling. As he finishjes the first rain drop falls from the sky.

"I -I c-c-can't." She cries, bringing a bony hand to her mouth to try and hide the chokes.

     Now he understands. She can't move. She's too scared. She's frozen in fear. He is now less than a foot away from her as he reaches a shaky hand out, gripping her waist gently. Her entire body goes stiff from the touch. He uses his other hand to grab the same place on the opposite side, gently pulling her to his chest. He lifts her up, carrying her bridal style back to the door he frantically ran to just minutes before. He says nothing, just holds her in his arms. Holds her shaking and sobbing body to his chest, stroking her hair gently as he rocks back and forth.

"It's okay darling. You're safe now. Everything is okay. You can trust me." Liam soothes.

      But he knows his words are a lie. Obviously everything is not okay if she would ever think of a thing like this. Unfortunately, It's always worse than it seems.

*AUTHOR'S NOTE.* I'm Rachel. I've also written 'New In Town', so you can check that out if you'd like. Wow, I was literally shaking while writing this. This was so sad.... Anyway, comment what you think of the first chapter, and let me know if I should continue?