Part 44: Clover

Phil's pov

"No, I swear. My neighbour Totoro is not a children's movie," I insisted for the hundredth time. I watch it at least once a month! Yes, it's animated and everything, but the plot is quite sophisticated and adult-ish!"

"Yes, but only because you're one big baby," Winnie said though the phone. We'd been talking all night until the now early hours of dawn. I suppressed a yawn as I giggled.

"I guess you'll have to babysit me then,"

"Yeah, I guess so,"

The following silence were not awkward, not strained. We did not need to fill every moment with worthless words just to have something to talk of. The silence were comforting and welcome.

"Winnie?" I said out loud to the faint lights in my room. "You asleep?"

I waited patiently a few seconds before I asked again. She still didn't give me an answer.

"Okay," I giggled. "If you can hear me, I'll just say goodnight. Call you later."

I hung up and my phone alerted me that we'd been talking for over nine hours straight. Ouch, this would definitely hurt when my bill came next week.

My smile were lopsided, but I couldn't wipe it away. I couldn't exactly help it either, she made me so extremely happy. I hadn't felt so happy in a long time, mainly because of all the stress of maintaining my YouTube channel, Leah's decease and constantly cheering up Dan.

I never thought I'd meet any potential girlfriend, or boyfriend for that matter, but then I happened to stumble across Winnie at the comic book store. She had everything; a cut laugh, a beautiful smile, a creative brain and we had so much in common. What surprised me was that she for some reason seemed to return the feelings.

I giggled some more as I pulled out my phone and wrote a quick message. For some reason, I felt as if it were necessary, like calling or texting a person back after a date.

*To: Winnie the Pooh
07.34am
Hey, you fell asleep on me (frowning face), but that's okay and I forgive you. Thanks for an interesting conversation though. Have a nice day J *

To others it might seem a little formal, but that didn't matter to me. At this point, I were not even sure where we stood. I mean, we had been on a few dates and I really liked her, but I hadn't popped the question yet. In all my previous attempts of a relationship, I'd asked too soon and everything just slowly crumbled apart.

She were like the girl reincarnation of me, and I finally understood what it must be like to be in love. I felt complete, and the feeling was better than what I'd ever expected. I finally understood Dan and Leah's relationship, and why they cared so much about each other.

Speaking of my roommate and his girlfriend, a sudden knock appeared at my door, before Dan stuck his head inside. My room were still covered in darkness as I hadn't bothered to turn the lights on, nor open my curtains.

"Phil?" He whispered as he approached my bed. "Are you awake?"

"Yeah," I muttered. "I stayed up all night talking to Winnie." I smiled to myself, knowing he couldn't see my expression in the dark, and tease me about it.

"Oh," he simply said. "Well, I suppose you haven't seen Leah all night?"

"What, no... Should I have?"

"I woke up and she weren't there!" Dan started to sound panicked, so I got out of my bed and walked over to grab his hands. "I've looked all over the apartment; she left no note or even a message. She's not answering her phone, Phil. I'm worried!"