Attempt Number One

A/N: Holy crap, it's been such a long time since I last updated this story.  A couple months maybe?  I apologize to those who have been asking for an update sooner.  I swear I was going to do it earlier, but I got caught up with schoolwork and all that jazz.  Anyways, enjoy! 

I sighed and did as he instructed.

"Now take a deep breath," he paused. "and clear your mind of any thoughts."

My eyes flew open and I stared at him. "You do realize that this is just basic meditation." I spoke without turning my head or moving.

"What do you suggest we do then?" He stood up and threw his hands up in the air.

"You mean 'I' do." I corrected him and closed my eyes once more. Might as well calm my rabbit heart  with meditation while I still could. "And I don't suggest we do anything.  I just don't want you bossing me around and telling me to do stupid things."

He scoffed and I felt him sit next to me.

"If my idea was so stupid, then why are you going along with it?" His voice teased.

"Because I'm tired. And this meditation stuff actually does work." I realized. When he didn't answer, I added, "You should try it.  Very calming."

Some time passed before Jack had a change of heart.  He shifted beside me and I peeked through one eye to look at him.  Both legs crossed like mine, he rested his palms on both knees.

"Hm..you're right." He finally admitted.

"Mhm.." I mumbled.  We sat like that for a bit, listening to the soft breeze rustle the trees nearby.  The sunlight streaming through the area seemed to make everything a bit warmer and I sighed.  

"Something wrong?" 

"No, no.  Just enjoying everything." I replied quietly, eyes still closed.  This comfortable silence was doing wonders on my mind.  Come to think of it, I hadn't had this much relaxation since.. since ever.  For once, I could actually think.  Back home, or whatever you call that living hell, I couldn't so much as take a crap without being interrupted to do some irrelevant chore.  Were they even worried about me?  I tried to hold in a bitter laugh as I thought about this dilemma. 

"Hey, you alright?" Jack's voice interrupted my thoughts and I jerked away immediately.  He grabbed my wrist and I realized I had curled my hands into fists.  I needed to forget the past.  It was seriously messing with my mojo.

"Yeah, sorry. I-I just need some sleep." I came up with an excuse and pulled my hand away to rub at my temples.

"It's been a busy day."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke to find myself lying inches away from Jack.  Since when did Guardians need sleep?  I know this sounds weird, but I couldn't help but take this time to study his soft features.  His bright blue eyes were no longer visible, long lashes cast downward in peaceful harmony.  He couldn't be pretending.  Almost unintentionally, my eyes flickered down to his lips.  They were curved ever so slightly; as if he was dreaming of a happy time in his past life.