42.

I wake up to beeping. I groan and open my eyes slowly, squeezing my eyes shut for a few seconds before blinking them open.
"She's awake," I hear Ross say.
"Cass?" Max' voice whispers to my right.
I see tubes connected to needles in my arms.
"What.. Happened..?" I whisper.
"We don't know. You just passed out. The nurses want to put you in a CAT scan. I told them you've been having mild headaches, that were gradually getting stronger." Max says and gently pulls my hand into his.
I nod and sigh and slowly sit up, looking over at Max. "What if something bad happens..?" I whisper.
"Then I'll always be here for you." Max says, gently rubbing the top of my hand with his thumb.
I nod and smile. "I love you Max," I say and before he can reply, a nurse walks in.
"Alright, since she's awake, we'll take her to do the scan. It should only take ten to fifteen minutes," the nurse says and starts taking the needles out of my arms, removing the clip from my finger and rolling me out of the room.
I take a deep breath, realizing my heart is pounding.
"I'm going to give you a quick shot, it should just feel like a little pinch." She says and a few seconds later pushes the fluid into my vein.
"Now I'm gonna need you to stay still, while laying on this conveyor belt." She says and moves me onto it, and places a lead blanket over me.
"This should only take a few seconds. If there is something wrong, you'll need to go into chemotherapy. Then surgery." She says and I nod. She starts the machine and I sigh then close my eyes, feeling the conveyor belt move me into the machine. I force myself to hold still as the scanning process starts.
I bite my tongue a bit and soon after, the scanning process ends and I'm moved back out and placed on the bed and wheeled back into the empty room.
She reattaches new needles and a clip then turns on the heart monitor and leaves.
Max walks in and immediately takes one of my hands in both of his and squeezes my hand.
"They're looking over the x rays now.." Max says and I nod, swallowing a lump in my throat.
He moves one hand up to my face and gently rubs his thumb over my cheek.
I lean my head into his cheek and wince slightly as another sharp headache courses through my head.
Max sighs and kisses the top of my head gently. "I love you, Cass.. You're going to be alright. I know it." He whispers.
I nod slowly and press one of my hands to his and sigh. "I'm just.. Nervous.. She said if something's wrong I'll need to go into chemotherapy and get surgery done." I say softly.
"I'll stay with you every step of the way. I don't care what happens. Cass, I'll always love you. No matter what happens." He whispers.
I nod slowly and feel tears forming in my eyes. In an hour.. We'll find out what's wrong with me.

-

A nurse comes in, looking through a clipboard. "We've notified your family and friends what's going on.. Three of them are on their way back to Washington, told by their parents to go home, and your family is staying in their states where they live.."
My eyes widen and I look at Max for a split second before looking back at the nurse. "Even.. Even my dad?" I ask. The beeping picks up speed and the nurse looks at me then raises his eyebrows.
"I'm going to need you to relax- the picking up of your blood pressure isn't healthy for what's going on."
I nod and take a deep breath. "So.. What is it..? What's wrong with me?" I ask softly.
"You have a brain tumor in your head, that if left untreated for much longer will become cancerous. It'll close an artery in your brain and you'll have a stroke, which most likely will kill you. We need to get you into chemotherapy as soon as possible to neutralize the tumor so we can remove it."
I blink a few times, taking it all in. I have a brain tumor that could kill me in days if it's left untreated for much longer.
I look at Max, worry and fear clear in his eyes, tears glossing them over.
"When can you get me into the chemo.." I whisper.
"Tomorrow at the latest." The doctor says, putting the clipboard under his arm.
I nod and sigh softly. "Let's do it.." I whisper.
"The risks of doing this though, are loss of hair, loss of speech, eyesight, and memory loss."
I blink a few times and nod slowly then look at Max.
I can't forget him. But I have to do this.
"I understand.." I whisper.
"We'll get you into chemotherapy as soon as possible." The nurse says and smiles briefly then leaves.
I look at Max right as a tear escapes my eye.
"I'm sorry, Max.. But I have to do this.. I promise.. I won't forget you." I say softly.
He nods and smiles a bit, but the mask of sadness and fear is overpowering him.
I promise.

---

Next part.. Oops. Double post. (End of the book is coming up ;-; cri)