Chapter 27

“Oh, my God, I feel it in the air
Telephone wires above are sizzling like a snare
Honey, I'm on fire, I feel it everywhere
Nothing scares me anymore

Kiss me hard before you go
Summertime sadness
I just wanted you to know
That, baby, you're the best”
- Lana Del Rey

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 27

“Dear, we missed you.” Tricia pulled me into a warm hug. I smiled through the hug. “Same here, Tricia. Thanks for inviting me.” I pulled away. “Bye Faith. I'll surely miss you a lot,” Waliyha said. “Uh—me too, Waliyha,” I said, hugging her too.

On Christmas morning Zayn got a call that he had to leave for Berlin tomorrow. We weren't even able to celebrate Christmas here properly, but I got lots of gifts from family. They all refused to go back to London, but as Zayn made a statement everybody shut their mouth.

Zayn being himself at last, was back to his I’m-the-biggest-jerk-not-interested mood. The emotional/lost/cheerful Zayn was gone as soon as morning came. Trust me, one day, his mood swings will surely kill me. But I’m happy that he even thinks about me telling about his past. Although I don’t know much, a little is better than nothing.

Everybody questioned Zayn as to where Austin had gone. Zayn just said that he got call from his office so he would leave in the night. I glanced at him, telling him with my eyes ‘you’re lying’. He eyed me back to ‘shut up’. I tried not to laugh but it turned into me choking on my food. He smirked at me. Bastard.

“Zayn, take some Shepherd Pie for the journey,” Tricia said from behind as we were leaving. Zayn looked at her shocked and shook his head chuckling slightly. “Mom, our journey only takes a few hours and we can’t take food in plane.” Tricia nodded. “Right, I’m just being overemotional,” she said through tear filled eyes.

“Mom, come here,” he said, hugging Tricia. “Why are you leaving? Stay here, Zayn,” she said between hugs. Zayn sighed loudly and pulled back. “Mom, you know everything. Don’t make it tough for me to leave you. I miss you all, it's just that I can’t live here.” She nodded. “Ah—and you can always call me and I’m here in an hour. Right?” she nodded. He hugged her followed by his sister.

Zayn's father awkwardly hugged him telling him to be careful through the journey. Finally we got in the car. Snow was still falling outside making the world beautiful. Every passing house on our way was covered with lights and Christmas trees. I grinned looking at the beautiful houses. I glanced at Zayn who was busy on his phone.

I quickly took my handbag from the side opening it. Zayn glanced at me for a few seconds then back to his phone. I went to a specific pocket pulling out the photo of my mom. I looked at her smiling face—imagining her looking at me from heaven. I smiled as the tears welled up in my eyes. “Merry Christmas, Mom,” I whispered. “What are you doing?” Zayn asked. I quickly shoved the photo inside and rubbed my face with my free hand. “N—nothing,” I said faking a smile. “Faith…what you put inside show me. Are you crying?” He moved forward in his seat looking at me through furrowed eyes.

“It nothing,” I chuckled fakely. “Faith,do I look like an idiot?” I looked at him mouthing ‘no’. “Then show me.” He placed his hand in front of me. I bit my lip. Do I show him? He already knew about my mom, but this photo is close to me; I never showed it to anyone. What would he think when I show him. He'll think I’m some freak that takes photo of her family wherever she goes. “Faith…” His voice snaps me back from my own battle of thought. “Faith, stop biting your lips…I won't give a second thought about taking you here right now in this car. Now give me the damn thing.” I was shocked at his groan. His eyes turned dark. I quickly released my lower lip and took the photo out nervously placing it on his palm.