TWO Wands Choose Wizards, Not Muggles

I didn't know what I was expecting. The coming Friday, Callie would be leaving for Hogwarts, and if I didn't hear word before then I wouldn't have a clue how to get there should I get accepted. I was a nervous wreck the entire week.

My parents picked up on the fact that something was wrong very quickly. They tried confronting me about it a number of times, but it was a secret and I couldn't tell them. Not yet, anyway.

When Wednesday came, I had dark circles under my eyes from lack of sleep, which had been caused by nerves and excitement. Callie had been scolding me all week, telling me to calm down, but I just couldn't. It had been so risky composing a letter that night, and sending it off the day after was even more risky (apparently the charms Callie's dad had cast on me made their owl look like a pet budgie, so I was pretty shocked when Callie snuck the bird from its' cage and threw it out the window with the letter attached to it's tiny little claw).

Early Wednesday morning, when I slumped down the stairs looking like something out of The Grudge, my mother and father had rushed me off to the kitchen for a serious talk.

"Aly," mum said, passing me a glass of orange juice and a bowl of my favorite cereal. "Is there something you want to tell us? You know we'll always be here to help you, no matter what."

"Mum, I'm fine," I promised. Dad took a more direct route, folding his arms and standing at my side.

"Aly, you know drugs are bad for you," he said. I blinked at him.

"What?" I asked, utterly confused.

"What did the kids at school give to you? Did they give you anything strange?" dad pressed, looking concerned.

"What? No, dad, it's not like that-"

"Paul," mum said sternly, giving him an annoyed look. "Aly, sweetie, you just seem very off lately."

I munched quietly on my cereal. I didn't know what to tell them. Everything was fine. I wasn't doing drugs. But I couldn't tell them about Hogwarts yet. If at all.

Mum and dad exchanged concerned glances, and I chugged down my orange juice. When I'd drained the entire thing, I bought the glass down to the table and exhaled a breath, my gaze focused on the open window directly across from me.

I screamed.

Heading straight for the window was a tiny, tawny owl, which swooped into the kitchen, sending mum, dad and the dog off on a panic, and in a noble flight dodging all the swooping hands and the dog's sharp teeth, the owl dropped a letter in my lap and zoomed straight out again. Mum bought the window down hard, so that it couldn't come back in.

"Is that a letter?" dad asked, eyeing me in shock.

My hands trembled as I held the letter. A letter with the same stamp as Callie's.

I ripped into it, bring out the letter and immediately unfolding it. Mum and dad scrambled to read it, but I shot them both an annoyed look.

"It's my letter. Let me read it first!" I insisted.

"You don't know that it's yours," Dad replied. I pointed to the envelope, where it was clearly addressed to me, before continuing on with reading the actual letter.

Dear Miss Castilian,

We have been informed of your interest in joining us and are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.