FIVE Muggles and Magic Don't Mix

"Aly?"

Someone was shaking my arm. Groggily, I sat up. Veronica was standing next to me, already dressed and ready.

"We're gonna be late," she said. "Come on!"

I got up and got changed into my robes. I then followed Veronica down the stairwell and out of the common room, which was bustling with students.

"What do we have first?" I asked Veronica, speed walking to keep up with her as we rushed down the hall.

"Um..." she looked at her timetable, which we'd received last night over dinner, curtsey of Everett. "Herbology," she said. "That's outside. Come on!"

Finding your way around high school on your first day is tricky. Finding your way about a giant castle is harder. Finding your way around a magic giant castle is hardest. Staircases moved and doors refused to open unless you asked nicely, or had a password. Ghosts were flying everywhere and some rooms liked to move around. It made it very easy to get lost, and very hard to learn where everything was.

Eventually we asked an older Hufflepuff we were passing to point us in the right direction. Seeing a Hufflepuff made me think of Callie. I wondered how she was doing, but then remember that she actually belonged here, and she'd been preparing for it her whole life. She'd be fine.

We eventually found out way outside and located the greenhouses. We were late, but it didn't matter. I wasn't surprised to find that we were still missing people. The teacher, Professor Sprout, looked annoyed, but she didn't say anything, so I guessed this happened every year.

I spotted Will in the corner, who was holding a copy of One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, except instead of reading it he was fighting for it. A vicious looking plant had it in its teeth like grip, obviously having decided to eat it for breakfast. Will managed to pull it away from the plant, and backed away, hugging it close like it was a treasure.

"Okay," Professor Sprout said once everyone had turned up and she'd introduced herself. "We don't have time to do everything I had planned, so we're going to briefly cover the information part of this lesson, and then your homework will be to read over the plants we study. So first, let's take a look at this red one here..."

The lesson wasn't overly exciting, but I found it fascinating. The plants were all strange and unique. Some tried to bite you. Others liked changing colour. It was simple things like that, things that didn't happen in the muggle world that I liked about this place.

Next we had Transfiguration. I followed Will and Veronica up to the classroom. Will seemed to know his way around. I wondered if it was from reading Hogwarts, A History yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd managed to finish the book, despite its thickness.

Both Veronica and I decided to stick with him, even if we just followed from a distance, to ensure we didn't get lost again. I was slowly becoming more and more thankful for befriending Veronica; she was full of bright ideas, and she was heaps of fun to be with.

We arrived on time, and Professor McGonagall looked pleased with us. Will took a seat in the second row, and without thinking we both sat next to him. He gave us a funny look, and we quickly looked away, embarrassed. I don't know why I was sitting with Will, especially since he didn't so much as acknowledge me, but it just sort of happened. Apart from Veronica, I didn't know anyone else I could sit with.

We had this class with the Slytherins. A group of smug looking Slytherins sat behind us, all snickering to each other.

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat, signaling the lesson was beginning. The room fell silent.