CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT Playing Spy

After our morning lessons, Will and I went out of our way to stay back after everyone had filed out of the potions room. Professor Slughorn was busy with some papers at his desk, but when we approached him, he disregarded them, beaming at us.

"Why, if it isn't my two favorite Ravenclaws!" he chuckled. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Professor," I replied. "We have some... information... that we don't believe should leave this room. Something serious is going on with the spell master championships and... well, we were hoping maybe you could help us be more prepared? Do you know anything about the last challenge that might help us should something go wrong?"

"Miss Castilian, I don't quite follow what you mean," he replied, frowning. "Are you suggesting that I give you information to help you in case you fail?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "No, I don't care about winning or losing. Well, not for the reasons you might think, sir. Someone on our team is planning something dangerous in this final challenge, and we've no idea what it is. All we know is that we'll have more than we expected to look out for."

"Sir," Will added, before Professor Slughorn could start to reply. "We're going to be late for our next class, but we were hoping we could discuss this further with you later? It would mean a lot to us."

"Of...of course," the professor stammered, looking very lost. He quickly composed himself. "Yes, well, my office will be open this evening, so come by when you're ready. But not too late, of course."

"Thank you, Sir," Will said. We both left the classroom, relieved that he'd agreed to listen to us at least. As we walked down the dark hallway towards the staircase leading out of the dungeons, Will brushed his hand against mine. We was walking so close to me that we were touching.

"Obviously you can't come with me tonight," Will said. "I'll bring Veronica instead, and while we get some information, you can track down Lucas."

"Yeah," I replied, eyeing him from the side. Will glanced my way.

"Aly," he said. "Please be careful. If you get hurt... I mean, not that I think Lucas is capable of hurting anyone... but you never know. He's my brother, but he doesn't feel like one. I don't know his strengths and weaknesses, or what he's doing in his life... now I wish I'd kept some idea at least."

Gently, I laced my fingers with his, so we were holding hands.

"Will... you're my best friend," I said to him. He stared at me, and we stopped walking so we could face each other.

"What about Veronica? What about Callie?" he asked, looking confused.

"Callie and I have grown so far apart I hardly know her anymore. Veronica is amazing, we both know that, but you've been there for me more than anyone this year. You helped me study magic, and you listened to me every time I needed someone. You saved me from falling off those stairs the night of the Halloween feast. Will, you're my best friend, and I promise you, I will be careful. Because best friends always come back to each other."

I noticed a tinge of blush on Will's cheeks. He probably had never had someone as a best friend before, and I smiled at little as his reaction. He ducked his head a little, but then looked back and stepped forward. Flinging his arms around me, he hugged me tightly.

"You're my best friend too, Aly."

When we reached the Great Hall, Albus was hovering at the Ravenclaw table, waiting for us. He busied himself chatting with Veronica, but when he saw us he started walking our way.