THIRTEEN Locomotor

I wanted to make amends with Callie, so early the next morning, I headed down to the hall to find her. As I approached the Hufflepuff table, Lucas caught my eye. He was biting into a red apple.

"Morning Castilian," he said, drawing out the word morning. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit to our side of the Great Hall?"

"I'm looking for Callie," I replied, glancing up and down the table. "Have you seen her?"

"I saw her leave early this morning. Seemed a bit upset. You should go check Hagrid's place. Sometimes she goes there when she's feeling blue."

"Hagrid's?" I repeated, frowning. Lucas shrugged.

"You know? The half giant that lives in the hut down the hill? He won't bite!"

I sighed. It couldn't hurt to go have a look...

"Thanks Lucas," I said finally. He waved me off, leaning back in his chair and devouring his apple.

It was chilly outside today. I strode down the hill, my gaze drifting to the lake where students relaxed, enjoying the early Saturday morning. To be honest, I was glad to have a break from classes, and now that I was starting to catch up in all my classes I wanted to take it slow again. There was no reason for me to push myself extra hard. If I did, I'd just exhaust myself, and the Spellmaster Championships were only two months away. I had to be in the best shape possible.

I reached Hagrid's hut, and my gaze fell upon the door. I guess I'd have to knock. I'd never been here before, so I was a bit cautious about approaching.

To my surprise, I didn't have to. I heard voices from around the back. Laughing, and snorting. Frowning, I rounded the hut, letting myself through the fence, and three figures came into view. Callie and Hagrid... and a giant winged horse.

It was light brown, with blue wings, and it had trotted over to Hagrid's cabbage patch (which had mostly been cleaned out from the Halloween feast). Hagrid marched over to him angrily.

"Oi! Not on that, yer grub! Go on!" he shooed, sending the winged creature galloping to the other end of the paddock. Towards me.

It was at that moment the pair noticed me, and Hagrid called out for the horse to stop in its tracks, which it did.

"Aly?" Callie questioned, looking surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"I...uh..." I stammered, as the horse came over to sniff at me.

"Kevin!" Hagrid yelled, his accent thick. "Leave the girl alone will yer?"

Kevin snorted again, then lost interest in me and trotted away. I recovered from my shock.

"Uh... I was coming to apologize to you," I said, focusing my gaze on Callie. "I wanted to ask if you wanted to hang out actually. We haven't in a while, and I feel like that's why we had that fight."

Callie shifted her weight, lowering her gaze. "No, I was at fault too," she admitted sheepishly. "I had to right to say you couldn't enter the Spellmaster Championships. I was just concerned for your wellbeing. I'm sorry."

"It's alright," I breathed, feeling relieved she wasn't angry with me. I crossed the paddock to hug her, and she wrapped her arms around me tightly.

"You smell funny," she giggled. "Is that a new shampoo?"

"Apart from the obvious reason as to why it's weird you know my shampoo, yes, it is. Veronica leant it to me. Do you like it?" I asked. It was made from a strange herb that helped tangles. I'd forgotten the name.