NINETEEN Alberforth

I'd been itching to return to Hogwarts since I'd learned the truth of my heritage. I needed to tell Will. Maybe he could help me track down this Alberforth. Surely he had things to say about what had happened?

Setting foot in the castle once more made me immensely happy. I was home, and this time, I truly knew I belonged. No longer was I the muggle who'd come to Hogwarts. Everyone had been wrong. I was a witch. I was meant to be here.

"Aly!" a cry echoed from across the hall. I looked over my shoulder and saw Veronica racing over to me. She tackled me into a hug. "I missed you!"

"Me too!" I laughed. "And I have the most exciting thing to tell you. We have to find Will!"

I wanted to tell Callie too. In fact, I wanted to tell everyone, but something told me to take it slow. Once I'd rounded up Will, and gotten them to sit at the Ravenclaw table, I spilt everything I knew.

"Alberforth Dumbledore?" Veronica gasped, looking shocked. Will was as equally surprised.

"That's... that's unexpected," Will added. "And the necklace... it was the key to unlocking your magic?"

I nodded. "But, I've got more questions now. If Lucas said this was his family heirloom, why did he lie? Did he know what it could do?"

"Considering it's a dangerous magical artifact, I'm just thanking my lucky stars it didn't kill you," Veronica replied, eying it with concern. "Why are you still wearing it, anyway?"

I glanced down at it. "I guess I'm afraid my magic will stop working if I take it off."

Will was frowning. "I think we should confront Lucas about his lie. There has to be a reason for it. I don't think we should leave anything to chance when dealing with that particular necklace."

We all agreed on that, but I'd convinced everyone to stay put while I confronted him. If too many of us ganged up on him it might intimidate him too much. So instead, I floated on over to the Hufflepuff table to where Lucas was laughing with his friends, and sat down next to him.

"Hey Lucas!" I chirped brightly. Lucas turned to me.

"Why hello, Miss Muggle," he greeted.

"Not anymore," I mused. "It turns out I'm descended from a witch!"

Lucas froze. "Seriously? Wait... this isn't a joke right?"

"Nah," I breezed. "I'm dead serious. I actually put a few things together over the holidays, concerning the family heirloom you gave me. Like, it struck me as weird that it's purpose was to enhance my magic, meaning I'd have to have magic to begin with. Oh, and the fact that it's not even your family heirloom, but the stolen artifact from the Ambleforth family that killed Brianna Ambleforth. But, I guess you would have had to know that I had magic, and that the artifact wouldn't kill me, which leads me to my main question; why did you lie to me?"

Lucas looked shocked. "Look, Aly, I never intended to hurt you." He glanced around nervously, before leaning closer,

"Okay. I lied. The artifact was stolen. But I didn't know it was that artifact! If I had I'd never have given it to you. I'd never risk your life!"

I raised an eyebrow. "How can you not know? It was locked in a specific room. You told me what the artifact was going to do for me."

"I was only telling you what my parents told me," he insisted. "My father told me the necklace would improve my magic. When I was younger I struggled a lot with it. It worked for me, so I thought it might work for you! And they told me the artifact belonged to our family. They told me it had been in our family for generations."