CHAPTER TWENTY NINE Family

Lucas kicked the cloak off of me. I was dazed, trying to get my bearings. My face was covered in dirt, and I had a scrape up my arm from being flung back.

"I knew you'd follow me if I dropped enough hints," Lucas said. "I couldn't risk us being overheard by anyone. Here, we will be safe to talk."

"What... is the meaning... of this?" I wheezed, trying to stand. I couldn't; instead slumping down against the wall once more.

"I should start off by saying that at first, I had no idea who you were, Alyssa." Lucas said. My intention was to make you like the others. I figured that being a muggle would render you easy prey."

Lucas knelt down so I could see him better.

"But when my spell affected Pomona, and not you, I realized you were immune to the amulet's magic, and I thought to myself, maybe it's because she hasn't got magical blood! So I gave you the amulet. I was using you so that I could attack students without drawing attention to myself. You were the vessel transporting the magic I was using."

Lucas stood up again.

"But then, you told me you weren't a muggle, and I thought that must have been impossible. And then, you told me about your mother, and the amulet's origin, and I realized... yes Alyssa, then it all clicked into place. You are I are the same."

"What are you talking about?" I coughed.

"Your mother was my mother. Your mother met my father, had me, and then she left when she met your father and married him. I never knew her. But she left the same magic in me that she left in you. The same power that was unlocked when we both got hold of this amulet. Alyssa... you're my half-sister."

I gawked, at a loss for words. I didn't have long to process what he was saying, because Professor Meria stepped forward, a cold look in her eyes.

"That's where I come in," she said. "I knew immediately that the amulet your grandmother sold at her garage sale was enchanted, and it didn't take long for me to figure out what it did. I knew it would be the perfect prize for the very first Spellmaster Championships."

"It killed someone!" I spat.

"Yes. And after that, it was locked away exactly where I wanted it to be. You see, I knew the Ambleforths were well known and trusted at the Ministry. I knew that, should a situation like the one I created arise, they would be the ones to protect everyone. And I also knew about the Grey Feud. It was my intention to start a riot between the powerful wizarding families... but things didn't go quite to plan."

She paused for a moment, thinking back.

"I hinted to Lucas' father that the amulet was a pride possession, something incredible to steal. He took the bait, asking Lucas himself to steal the amulet. And when he did, the amulet protected him."

"You see," Lucas said, cutting in. "I was struggling with magic at the time, like you. I was a squib. And I wanted to make my father proud, so when he offered me this challenge, I wanted to succeed. And when I did, I kept the amulet as a reminder that I wasn't as useless as I originally thought."

"When the Ambleforth's unleashed the vampires onto the Grey family, the amulet was the only thing that unlocked Lucas' power. Like you, when you saved everyone from the doxies, Lucas' spell that was meant to protect himself from vampires tripled in size and power, killing all the vampires around him. He fled, and was taken in by yet another powerful wizarding family... the Davis family," Professor Meria explained.

"After that, I was able to use magic, and furthermore, the amulet didn't hurt me. But I discovered I could control things with it. When Professor Meria learned about the stolen amulet, and that the thieves had all died but one, she came to investigate, and found me alive. She composed a new plan, and asked me to be part of that plan."

"What plan?" I asked. The stupefy spell had finally worn off, but I was engrossed in their story and in no hurry to run off.

"The powerful wizarding families have been in power for far too long. People like Voldermort have caused wars, and it's time things changed. I needed a way to inconspicuously gather many people in one place, without anyone looking for them. Lucas had the perfect weapon for that. He helped me get many powerful witches and wizards of the younger generation into St. Mungos using that amulet. No one suspected that they might be in more danger there than if they had died. But now that we have enough people gathered together, we can start again. We can raise the children of powerful wizarding families, and shape them into the people they should be."

My eyes widened. "What kind of people would you make them?"

"Obedient slaves," Professor Meria replied. "Alyssa, you are such a powerful witch. What we plan to do is just the beginning. We're going to reshape the wizarding world. You, a former muggle, would be such an inspiration to our revolution. Join us, won't you?"

"What?" I cried. "No!"

I began to panic. Callie was in there! And Eleanor's brother! And so many other people! They were all helpless!

Lucas frowned. "Aly. Professor Meria has given me a second chance! You don't have to end up like the others. You can be in charge too!"

"Who is helping you?" I demanded, shaking. "Who?"

"Just a few former death eaters," Professor Meria confessed. "Alyssa, I'm afraid that we can't let you leave. You can either join us, or be locked away until all of this is over. You're powerful, but you're also a threat. You're immune to this amulet."

"Plus," Lucas added, his expression grave. "If you don't join us... Will will become like the others."

My face paled. "Will?" I whispered.

"Yes," Lucas said. "But if you join us... I'll spare him. Only him. He's my brother." He held out his hand to me. "And you're my sister."

I stared in horror. He reached out further, encouraging me to come to him.

"We'll be a family," he whispered.

I took a step backwards. "No!" I declared firmly. "I'm going to stop you! All of you!"

Professor Meria gritted her teeth. "Delphy!" she called, looking over her shoulder. Another girl emerged from the shadows, and a chill went down my spine. Just how many people were watching this exchange?

"Yes?" she mused, looking smug.

"I want you to take a lock of Alyssa's hair and add it to your polyjuice potion. You're going to pose as her in the final round of the Spellmaster Championships. In it, we will fake her death, then unleash our plan. Anyone who figures out the truth about Lucas and Alyssa will not go looking for her if they think she is dead. After all, she's the only one who can stop us."

I scrambled to my feet, but Delphy sent a Pertrificus Totalus spell at me, which made me freeze into place. Not even gently, she yanked a few threads of my fiery hair from my head, then with a sweet smile, turned and went back the way she came. I cursed in my head. They'd thought ahead about everything! I was stuck here, and everyone was in danger! I needed to escape somehow, but with the Professor and Lucas taking me further into the tunnels, I had no idea where we were going, or how I would ever get away from them again..

***

WOAH! Didn't see that one coming, did you? Or DID you...? 

I really hope you enjoyed these updates. They were long anticipated, and I hope they gave you some answers you'd desperately been wanting. Weren't Alyssa and Will just so adorable in the previous chapter?? And will they all make it out of this alive? And who would have thought Lucas and Alyssa were RELATED? WHAAAAT? 

If you enjoyed this chapter leave me a comment! Thanks for reading :D